Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Glendower

Connoisseur

Glendower

Anyone else tried this pure malt Scotch? It is an 8 year old blend of Highland malts selling for $34.95 at the LCBO, which seems a hell of a deal to me, maybe the best value in Scotch right now. It is fragrant and fruity and floral with a smoky undertone. A bit "green", perhaps, but the taste is very lively and it has good body. It's bottled at 43% and judging by the nice light colour I would guess no colouring is added. Water brings out the smokiness more. Jim Murray gave it 84 points, describing it simply as "nutty and spicy".

Virtuoso

Re: Glendower

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Anyone else tried this pure malt Scotch? It is an 8 year old blend of Highland malts selling for $34.95 at the LCBO, which seems a hell of a deal to me, maybe the best value in Scotch right now. It is fragrant and fruity and floral with a smoky undertone. A bit "green", perhaps, but the taste is very lively and it has good body. It's bottled at 43% and judging by the nice light colour I would guess no colouring is added. Water brings out the smokiness more. Jim Murray gave it 84 points, describing it simply as "nutty and spicy".
    I may have to pick one up. I was over there yesterday picking up the Islay Mist 8 which is good for the price there as well... 29.99.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Re: Glendower

Islay Mist is good but in my mind it doesn't compare to Glendower. Further research seems to indicate that this is a hand-crafted, additive-free product, and judging by the cloudiness after having it on ice I'd also guess it is non-chillfiltered. I would buy again in a heartbeat!