Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Smile What Beer Are You Drinking Fall 2010

Well for most of us summer is slipping in to fall. The leaves are changing, the heat is gone, and much colder temps are a coming. We are 4 weeks into the football season already. The Octoberfest Beers are out and on sale. I did not really like the Leinenkugel's Fest beer. Beck's and Sam Adams October's are much better product. I'll have to search out more OF beers. Also I have been pouring Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen, Lagunitas Lil Somethumin Extra, Guiness and English IPA. So what about you? What Beer fits the season?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Enthusiast

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking Fall 2010

I reviewed Avery's The Kaiser, an Imperial Oktoberfest Lager.

It's a great beer, good price too! Hope to check out some more Fall beers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTLUCBXlR3U
    Last edited by imbibehour; 10-02-2010 at 08:32. Reason: grammar
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

A nice pour of Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues, here. The first one I've had since I enjoyed this excellent ale with Leif in Sweden last month! I found two 12 packs in Waukesha on my way to Beloit last Thursday and packed them all the way to Seattle and then to NYC!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hey Cliff, Dale's Pale Ale is on draft at Gingerman in New York. Recently passed through the city on a trip to western Jersey for a wedding. Gingerman is as good as ever but I was impressed also with the Pony, which gets a younger crowd and is out on 10th Avenue and 45th Street. Empire Brewery was being featured from Syracuse (it was craft beer week in NYC) and their Harvest Bitter on handpump dispense was excellent.

I finally found Guinness FES - not in any Irish bar - I stopped in a few and asked but no one had heard of it - but in a wholesale-retail beer outlet on Chrystie Street below Houston, which is not too far from Whole Foods and its great beer selection. I'm sure Whole Foods has it since they have everything, but I got to this other place first and took one of the three sixers of Guinness FES. The owner had some draft taps going for samples and I tried some Russian stout, from a Florida micro (Cigar something ... can't recall full name), which was amazingly good, and Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter from a micro in New York State north of the city somewhere, also top quality. The owner was into strong stouts and we had a good conversation, he was interested in my approach to blending.

This trip however renewed my longstanding feeling that American Pale Ale, the type where the Cascade or Chinook hop is very prominent, just isn't my style. That lavender/grassy/pine thing is just too big for me. I like a more English-style pale ale, which many craft brewers in the U.S. make (Dale's is a good example), and most porters and stouts.

I found some Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout on Chrystie Street, which is a silky black stout but informed by the typical spicing of a pumpkin ale. Those who can't find it should make their own: blend two-thirds any good stout and the rest any good pumpkin ale.

The best pumpkin ale I had was Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale at Gingerman which has a big winy taste and something like cardamon or some other exotic spice on the typical pumpkin mixture. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale was great too with very pure flavours.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I thought I'd check out the spec of Dale's Pale Ale and it turns out it uses 3 C-hops but also Northern Brewer for bitterness, which is an English styled hop. I guess I just like the particular house flavor it offers. I also like (always have) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it is still one of the best. It's just one of those areas where I don't like APA in general but like some in particular.

Gary

Guru

We had a nice assortment of German beers for our Oktoberfest party last night: Hofbrau Original, Spaten Ur Marzen and Radeberger. Somewhere along the line, while in a well-oiled haze (fueled by the eventual addition of bourbon), we switched over to English ales and American microbrewed ales: Old Speckled Hen, Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, Wychwood's Hobgoblin Dark English Ale and Goose Island's Harvest Ale. Great beer night!

P.S.--If you're going to drink Old Speckled Hen, get the bottled version and not the can with the nitrogen widget. The bottled stuff is light years better.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Trying a Mammoth IPA 395. Interesting brew. Lots of fruit and floral first and now there is almost sage or sage brush.

This is out of the high Seriras. Interesting beer. I think its a good drinker and well balanced enough for an early IPA drinker.

Virtuoso

After 4 days of way too much bourbon it was a laid back evening with a few Sammy Smith Pale Ale's...... a never let you down brew....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

...way too much bourbon? I think so.

Drinking a Duvel. Not sure about this one as it's a little hoppy for my taste.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Today was an Arrogant Bastagd and a Meantime IPA out of the UK. Both good and very diff from one another.