Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 10/10: Sazerac Rye

I'm of an interesting opinion on this one: I absolutely love Thomas Handy Sazerac, and am not a fan of the younger NAS Sazerac. While Thomas Handy is one of my (if not the) favorite whiskeys that can be found with some sort of regularity (it may be limited, but nothing compared to certain spectacular willett bottlings and other very limited single barrels), I will pass up Sazerac any chance I get.

With one exception. When making a sazerac cocktail, I find a saz dominant sazerac with a dash of the 18 year old and Handy thrown in is exceptional.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

I really like Baby Saz, and I love Handy. There isn't anything to compare them to, is there?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I really like Baby Saz, and I love Handy. There isn't anything to compare them to, is there?
    Russell's Reserve Rye , when found. Have noticed some rye white dog , talk about a wallup.
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin' and preachin' were alot alike." Paul Bryant

Connoisseur

Sazerac is great. A lot of people call it "baby" or "junior". I think the more aged version should be called Handy, and the regular version just Sazerac. Anyway, if I have some in the cabinet, other stuff often gets ignored. It costs around $30 locally. Sazerac seems very different compared to WT Rye or Rittenhouse. (Those are the three I can recomend). I wonder if Sazerac is more like a Maryland Rye?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Sazerac is great. A lot of people call it "baby" or "junior". I think the more aged version should be called Handy, and the regular version just Sazerac.
    I think you may be confusing 2 of the Antique Collection items. Sazerac Rye 18 years old, 90 proof, is not the same as Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Uncut Unfiltered (no age statement, proof varies).

Check their website.

I agree that Handy should drop the 'sazerac' from their name.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    Handy and Sazerac share quite a unique flavor. Isn't it the same whiskey, with the Handy being "specially" selected and bottled uncut?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    I think you may be confusing 2 of the Antique Collection items. Sazerac Rye 18 years old, 90 proof, is not the same as Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Uncut Unfiltered (no age statement, proof varies).

Check their website.

Both Sazerac 18 and Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye have greater age than the standard Sazerac Rye, the THSR being eight years old and the latter six. But I can see why there is some occasional confusion. I enjoy Sazerac Rye but it doesn't knock my socks off and I definitely won't be buying another bottle any time soon. It's simply too bland for my tastes, and when I'm drinking rye I want to be bowled over by spicey flavor and aroma. I find, more so than with bourbon, that once I've hard the "exquisite" stuff (THSR, VWFRR, Saz 18, Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel and the less expensive Rittenhouse and WT Rye), I can't go back to the "smooth" ryes like Baby Saz and Templeton. That's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy them if someone offered me a pour, only that I wouldn't seek them out when the others are available.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

i dont like the Baby Saz at all. i prefer a bit of kick to my ryes. but the Saz has this sweetness that tastes like cherry elixir on my palate.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
    i dont like the Baby Saz at all. i prefer a bit of kick to my ryes. but the Saz has this sweetness that tastes like cherry elixir on my palate.
    It does have a sweetness to it that is found in no other ryes. That is what I meant when I said, "There isn't anything to compare them to, is there?" I didn't mean that it was "beyond comparison".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Both Sazerac 18 and Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye have greater age than the standard Sazerac Rye, the THSR being eight years old and the latter six. But I can see why there is some occasional confusion. I enjoy Sazerac Rye but it doesn't knock my socks off and I definitely won't be buying another bottle any time soon. It's simply too bland for my tastes, and when I'm drinking rye I want to be bowled over by spicey flavor and aroma. I find, more so than with bourbon, that once I've hard the "exquisite" stuff (THSR, VWFRR, Saz 18, Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel and the less expensive Rittenhouse and WT Rye), I can't go back to the "smooth" ryes like Baby Saz and Templeton. That's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy them if someone offered me a pour, only that I wouldn't seek them out when the others are available.
    To correct my own post, I've just been reading that the THSR is, in fact, six years old, not eight as I had previously commented. I'm not sure where I got eight from? Has it always been six years old?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet