Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 10/10: Sazerac Rye

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Could not disagree more strongly with the gent who suggest Overholt or Beam Rye. Those two, in my humble estimation, are the most worthless ryes on the market, bar none. The Beam rye doesn't taste a damn thing like rye (too sweet, just like normal white label Beam) and Overholt tastes like sweaty socks...it has a mold/foul flavor, though it does smell decent enough.

See my other post, newcomer to rye, if you want to try something excellent, not break the bank and find out if you actually LIKE rye whiskey, go grab a bottle of Pikesville for $12-15...you can thank me later...it's the same juice as Rittenhouse BiB, just a younger expression.

I hope you'll join the rye army, my friend...I have actually largely left bourbon behind and am now drinking rye about 90% of the time.
    While I agree with you in regards to the quality of Fortune Brand's Ryes, I think that you're oversimplifying the Pikesville/RittBiB connection. RittBiB is older than Pikesville, but not by much, but it's also 100proof, and having had Pikesville, Ritt80, and RittBiB, I feel that they all show quite differently. As for quality, RittBiB is leagues ahead of the others mentioned. The problem is finding it on the shelf.

Advanced Taster

Yes, Pikesville Rye is a very nice rye and a great value. Unfortunately, it is only available in 4 or 5 states.

I have become a real fan of rye whiskey and have several favorites (including Sazerac Rye). I seem to favor those made with 90% to 100% rye.

Does anyone know which ryes are produced in the U.S. with a 100% rye mashbill?

Thanks,

Shell

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Yes, Pikesville Rye is a very nice rye and a great value. Unfortunately, it is only available in 4 or 5 states.

I have become a real fan of rye whiskey and have several favorites (including Sazerac Rye). I seem to favor those made with 90% to 100% rye.

Does anyone know which ryes are produced in the U.S. with a 100% rye mashbill?

Thanks,

Shell
    Old Potrero, Koval, and Whistlepig(Canadian) are all 100% Rye mashbill. Also, all the LDI distilled Rye is 95% Rye. This would include younger ryes under Michter's, Rendezvous, Templeton, and Willet 2yr Rye. I'm sure there is other LDI Rye out there, as well.

Advanced Taster

White Dog, thanks very much for the information. I am a huge fan of a high rye content.

Grand Traverse Distillery's Ole George Whiskey is distilled from a 100% rye mashbill (a relatively new distillery in northern MI). (I have yet to try it.)

I had heard that Templeton Rye is now distilling their own whiskey in Indiana and their web site now indicates a 90% Rye / 10% barley mashbill.

Templeton Rye is a great rye whiskey, as is High West Rendezvous Rye (High West states that it is a blend of a 6-year-old (95%) rye and a 16-year old (80%) rye). I have heard that High West is a LDI distilled Rye as well.

The Russell's Reserve Rye is a realy good 6-year Rye - but their web site is silent on the mashbill. I guess that its rye content may be lower than 90%?

Shell
    Last edited by Shell; 12-15-2010 at 11:30.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    ... RittBiB is older than Pikesville, but not by much, but it's also 100proof, and having had Pikesville, Ritt80, and RittBiB, I feel that they all show quite differently. As for quality, RittBiB is leagues ahead of the others mentioned. The problem is finding it on the shelf.
    When I contacted Heaven Hill Distillery about where to find Pikesville Rye (unfortunately only in 4-5 states), they told me the following: Rittenhouse is aged 4 years and Pikesville is aged 3 years. Pikesville used to be aged for 4 years, but they went to the 3 year age in response to the high demand for Pikesville.

(If there is a high demand, I wonder why they don't distribute this really good rye in more states? ...)

Shell

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    White Dog, thanks very much for the information. I am a huge fan of a high rye content.

Grand Traverse Distillery's Ole George Whiskey is distilled from a 100% rye mashbill (a relatively new distillery in northern MI). (I have yet to try it.)

I had heard that Templeton Rye is now distilling their own whiskey in Indiana and their web site now indicates a 90% Rye / 10% barley mashbill.

Templeton Rye is a great rye whiskey, as is High West Rendezvous Rye (High West states that it is a blend of a 6-year-old (95%) rye and a 16-year old (80%) rye). I have heard that High West is a LDI distilled Rye as well.

The Russell's Reserve Rye is a realy good 6-year Rye - but their web site is silent on the mashbill. I guess that its rye content may be lower than 90%?

Shell
    Based on how Templeton has played fast and loose with facts, I wouldn't believe anything on their website.

As for Russell's, it's the standard Turkey Rye mashbill, which I would guess is only 55 to 60% Rye. Try the Wild Turkey 101 Rye, as it's much better, IMHO.

Guru

I like Saz but it doesn't fill any opening in my lineup. Locally it is priced as a premium so I'll pass in favor of Turkey, Overholt or Beam.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I like Saz but it doesn't fill any opening in my lineup. Locally it is priced as a premium so I'll pass in favor of Turkey, Overholt or Beam.
    How much does it run there?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Depends on the store, between $25-$30 but I'll have to check to be more precise.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Depends on the store, between $25-$30 but I'll have to check to be more precise.
    The $25 to $30 price (750 ml bottle) is the range that I have seen on various web sites that do mail order sales, as well as Binny's in Chicago. Here in MI, Sazerac Rye 6 yr. old is priced at $26.99 (the state minimum price), plus 6% sales tax. Many MI liquor stores are selling spirits at the state minimum price.

Enjoy.