Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Has anyone heard of W.H. Harrison Indiana Straight Boubon Whiskey. I have just caught wind of this, and want to learn more, but it probably hasn't left the boundries of Indiana. Its made by Tipton Spirits, Brazil, IN, their website link is below.

Also, I am well aware that Bourbon can be made in any state, but I thought that only Kentucky could use its name before the title Straigh Bourbon Whiskey.

www.harrisonbourbon.com
    "Don't let kids make your Manhattan... they use way too much vermouth."

Disciple

Re: Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

I had not heard of it either, but now I definitely want to try it.

Guru

Ah, Tipton, home of the world-famous Pork Fest.

If I had to guess I would say they bought this stuff from ADI in Lawrenceburg. It's heartening that they don't say they distilled this themselves anywhere on their websites or even imply it. Sure they're not distilling, but at least they're not lying about it either.

It sounds interesting, at any rate. Do they sell it where you work, Kev?
    Last edited by Josh; 10-04-2010 at 19:17.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Has anyone heard of W.H. Harrison Indiana Straight Boubon Whiskey. I have just caught wind of this, and want to learn more, but it probably hasn't left the boundries of Indiana. Its made by Tipton Spirits, Brazil, IN, their website link is below.

Also, I am well aware that Bourbon can be made in any state, but I thought that only Kentucky could use its name before the title Straigh Bourbon Whiskey.

www.harrisonbourbon.com
    Good catch. Hadn't heard of this one. Hmmm, a Bourbon named after a president who served a whole month. What's next Millard Fillmore Bourbon?

Oh, and it's an often repeated myth that only Kentucky can use its name on the label. There is no such restriction.

Taster

Actually I now work for a wine/spirits distributor...not the one that reprsents this brand though.

Would ADI be Seagrams?

I heard about it by word of mouth, not by any grand anouncement by the brand.

The bottle says "Aged less than 4 years," doesnt there have to be a specific age statement of the yougest whiskey in the blens if it is less than 4 years old?

Do you think they buy white dog and age themselves, or buy the aged whiskey, and as advertised on the label, bottle in Temperance, MI

P.S. I am less than eloquent, but I laugh that their description is "layers of subtlety" Subtle what...?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ah, Tipton, home of the world-famous Pork Fest.

If I had to guess I would say they bought this stuff from ADI in Lawrenceburg. It's heartening that they don't say they distilled this themselves anywhere on their websites or even imply it. Sure they're not distilling, but at least they're not lying about it either.

It sounds interesting, at any rate. Do they sell it where you work, Kev?

Virtuoso

I have actually heard of this but could not find any web facts to back it up. I believe they are actually distilling in Tipton Co. I was told it is the only Straight bourbon whiskey being distilled in Indiana.

I will actually be in Bloomington tomorrow. I will pick up a few bottles.

also, WH Harrison was renowned in Indiana as a governor, not necessarily a president.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Taster

I luckily found, and bought a bottle of the Govenor Select, barrel proof (114), Batch #1

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I have actually heard of this but could not find any web facts to back it up. I believe they are actually distilling in Tipton Co. I was told it is the only Straight bourbon whiskey being distilled in Indiana.

also, WH Harrison was renowned in Indiana as a governor, not necessarily a president.

Virtuoso

I'd be pretty shocked if they distilled this. First, they talk a lot about Indiana on the website, but make no claims to having distilled it, don't have pictures or stories about their distillery, etc. That screams to me that their role is bottling; Second, I feel like we would have known if there was a microdistiller who had been around for at least four years making Bourbon in central IN.

LDI/Seagram's makes Bourbon so they could have easily bought it from them and bottled it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I'd be pretty shocked if they distilled this. First, they talk a lot about Indiana on the website, but make no claims to having distilled it, don't have pictures or stories about their distillery, etc. That screams to me that their role is bottling; Second, I feel like we would have known if there was a microdistiller who had been around for at least four years making Bourbon in central IN.

LDI/Seagram's makes Bourbon so they could have easily bought it from them and bottled it.

Well, I can't disagree with that... The wording fits !!!

Kevin, where did you find the batch #1? I'd love to get one of those...
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Advanced Taster

Bloomington....My old home town, is Big Red Liquors still in business?