Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by MissinER101 View Post
    Bloomington....My old home town, is Big Red Liquors still in business?

Yep... Thats where I'm going !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MissinER101 View Post
    Bloomington....My old home town, is Big Red Liquors still in business?
    Ahhh...Big Red. A friend and I parked a car in their lot one night back in the 1990s and learned a valuable lesson about taking signs seriously.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

An opportunity to call the bourbon "Old Tippecanoe" and they chose "Harrison" instead. Or they could haved called it "Old 32 Brand" in celebration of the number of days he served as President.
    Dave G.

Virtuoso

Old Tippecanoe wold have been a great name !!!!

well, I pulled the trigger on a bottle.

$56.99 + tax for "less than 4 yr" bourbon at 114 proof.

It better be DAMN tasty !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Taster

They don't even do the bottling!!! It says on the side of the bottle that it is bottled in Teperance, MI...so do they just take 4 year old Seagrams and deliver it to our neighbors to the north??

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I'd be pretty shocked if they distilled this. First, they talk a lot about Indiana on the website, but make no claims to having distilled it, don't have pictures or stories about their distillery, etc. That screams to me that their role is bottling; Second, I feel like we would have known if there was a microdistiller who had been around for at least four years making Bourbon in central IN.

LDI/Seagram's makes Bourbon so they could have easily bought it from them and bottled it.
    "Don't let kids make your Manhattan... they use way too much vermouth."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dgonano View Post
    An opportunity to call the bourbon "Old Tippecanoe" and they chose "Harrison" instead. Or they could haved called it "Old 32 Brand" in celebration of the number of days he served as President.
    And "Tyler Too" would have made a great secondary brand ...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It appears to have been launched about three weeks ago. Maybe they aren't lying about distilling it but they're telling plenty of other fibs.

Their claim "The First Indiana Bourbon Since Prohibition" is surely false. There were four distilleries making bourbon just in Greendale/Lawrenceburg after Prohibition. One of the brands made there, Old Quaker, was a major national brand. There was also the Park and Tilford distillery in Tell City. LDI, the likely source of this juice, is still making bourbon in Indiana and has been for more than 70 years.

It's interesting that TTB approved the wording "aged less than four years." I can see the logic. "Straight" means it is more than two years old, so the consumer is probably receiving enough information without putting a specific age (e.g., 36 months) on it.

I strongly doubt there was any "Indiana Oak" in the barrels. Their claim that "much of the oak used to make bourbon barrels is actually grown in Indiana" is surely false. Neither ISC nor Brown-Forman sources any significant amount of timber from Indiana and they represent about 99% of all whiskey barrels made in the USA.

There is both a Harrison Bourbon web site and a Tipton Spirits web site but neither one tells you very much. The Tipton site says the company is made up of people who used to work for the big liquor companies but they don't name a single name or give an address of where the company is located. What are they hiding?

The myth that "only Kentucky can put its name on the labels" dies hard. The odd thing to me is that it isn't even logical. Who would enforce such a rule?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The myth that "only Kentucky can put its name on the labels" dies hard. The odd thing to me is that it isn't even logical. Who would enforce such a rule?
    Exactly. It reminds me of the similar myth that only Texas can fly its flag at the same height as the US flag.

I'm guessing that as people get to know the rules of Bourbon and there are more and more non-Kentucky Bourbon, the idiots who have been perpetuating the "Bourbon can only be made in KY" myth, seeing that it is clearly not the case, switched to, "Well, it can be made anywhere but only Kentucky can have its name on the label."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's interesting that TTB approved the wording "aged less than four years." I can see the logic. "Straight" means it is more than two years old, so the consumer is probably receiving enough information without putting a specific age (e.g., 36 months) on it.
    Redemption rye's age statement is "over two years old," another one that seemed odd since that goes along with the definition of "straight."

Connoisseur

I remember as a child being taken shopping at the main Big Red location when it was an A&P grocery store! I'm curious to hear how the Indiana Bourbon tastes. I don't think I'd be paying $50+ for something that young. I read about in the Star that a micro distiller in Indiana was making and selling vodka and gin. That may be unrelated. I don't know. Could this be like the new Michters?