Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Joe, I think $30 a bottle for underage bulk whisky is outrageous. Apparently a ADI product, it is a new whisky only in the sense of being not yet mature.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Joe, I think $30 a bottle for underage bulk whisky is outrageous. Apparently a ADI product, it is a new whisky only in the sense of being not yet mature.
    I guess that goes down as a "Wont' buy"? I certainly understand your positon, Squire. But, my post should not be construed to suggest that this booze is worth $30 to me, or anyone, on a long-term basis. Worth is, what worth is.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Of course not Joe, no reference to you at all. I was thinking of our non posting readers who might like more information before making a purchase decision as there are some fine proven Bourbons out there that cost a lot less.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I find this the most interesting and reflective post made in quite some time, although I doubt you'll see any of these young whiskeys (I do have a hard time calling them bourbons) in my bunker any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I received a bottle of the 80 proof as a Christmas gift. I have to say that I have been enjoying the pours that I have had so far. It's not mind-blowing, but it is much better than I expected, going in. Indicative of it's young age, it is lightly colored. The nose doesn't say much, but begins the theme of fresh corn husks, that carries into mid-palate. I was put off upon first opening of the bottle, of the medicinal alcohol tint, on the nose. But, I have found that a few minutes of sitting and swirls of the glass, dissipate this very effectively. Also, additional openings of the bottle have all but eliminated this. More chewy corn husks at first sip, along with a bit of oak. But, the interesting thing that I really enjoy in this whiskey so far, is the apple that hit's at the end of the corn husk phase, and blooms in the finish. I haven't done a side by side yet, but from what I remember, this bears a strong similarity to the Laird's 7-1/2 yr Apple Brandy that I always enjoy. The finish is dryish, and again surprisingly, doesn't just drop of the face of the earth. It, in fact, is quite lingering.

At the end of the day, I find it a rather nice pour. I hear it's ~$30. I won't say whether I would continually buy this at $30, and frankly, I don't care. I ain't always in this hobby to determine that. I am, however, always interested in trying new bourbons, pretty much regardless of price. I will say, I would drop $30 to buy this at least once. So, since I received the first one free, it is worthy of me pulling from my own wallet to buy a second.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I received a bottle of the 80 proof as a Christmas gift. I have to say that I have been enjoying the pours that I have had so far....

At the end of the day, I find it a rather nice pour. I hear it's ~$30. I won't say whether I would continually buy this at $30, and frankly, I don't care. I ain't always in this hobby to determine that. I am, however, always interested in trying new bourbons, pretty much regardless of price. I will say, I would drop $30 to buy this at least once. So, since I received the first one free, it is worthy of me pulling from my own wallet to buy a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    I find this the most interesting and reflective post made in quite some time, although I doubt you'll see any of these young whiskeys (I do have a hard time calling them bourbons) in my bunker any time soon.
    Hear Hear! Joe, you've convinced me to try to grab one of the 80 proofers while I'm down here in Indianapolis.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I was poking around on the Web (I know! Imagine such a thing!) and found this list of whiskeys made at LDI.

Two things jumped out at me: the only rye listed is 95% rye, with no small grain, and there's also a bourbon that's 99% corn with no small grain (I guess rye needs more help breaking down the starches).

Connoisseur

I think the 95 percent rye is meaning the other 5 % is malt. And the 99 percent is using 1 percent malt. 5% percent malt is plenty on the rye, but if they are only use 1 percent malt and 99 percent corn, then they have got to add enzymes.

Disciple

I finally got a chance to sample this. I was in a liquor store in Indy over my lunch hour, and the store had done a tasting over the previous weekend. I had a conversation about various whiskeys with the manager, and he brough out a half-full bottle of each the regular and the Governor's Select.

In full disclosure, I'd just finished my lunch and had really overdone it on the hot-sauce, so I wasn't in peak tasting form. I had the regular first, and it was certainly nothing special. It's something you'd use to mix if your company didn't want to taste the bourbon. It wasn't bad, just really boring and obviously needed to go back in the barrel for a while.

I then tried the Governor's Select, and was very impressed. It had a long finish, and reminded me a little of WTKS. However, the earlier posts nailed it. This particular store was selling it for $55, and it just isn't a $55 bottle. At $38-$40, it would be worth having a bottle on the shelf, particularly when trying to show off a "sorta home-state" product.