Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thomas Handy 2010

"Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye is an uncut and unfiltered straight rye whiskey. This year’s Handy was distilled in the spring of 2004 and aged on the third and fourth floors of Warehouses K, M and P. It is 126.9 proof. The flavor is cinnamon and allspice, with a bold lingering finish."

I know this has been said before, but how does a 6 year old product belong in the Antique Collection?! Am I the only one getting tired of paying ~$70 a bottle for 6 yo uncut whiskey yet seeing members of our board find superior (IMHO) 5-8 yo stuff and having it bottled privately at substantially less cost per bottle.

Sorry BT, but you'll only get me to purchase one bottle of this, and judging from the 08 and 09s still sitting on shelves around here I am not the only one. It's high time to seriously consider a change to the BTAC. Keep it Antique for those truly old bottlings, but come up a new moniker for your uncut stuff and price it more fairly. I've said it before the Buffalo Trace Uncut Collection would be just fine, and now that Tom Moore is in the fold I am sure another bottling or two could be introduced to make it 3 of each.

Of course this is just my opinion.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

Re: Thomas Handy 2010

I agree that it is a marketing gaffe. Considering I can get 2 bottles of Baby Saz and have money left over Handy has little to offer in terms of value to the consumer.

I really like Handy and would prefer it if it was a regular product instead of a once yearly release. While I'm daydreaming make it a little cheaper too.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

I completely agree. I never understood this one either.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Sorry BT, but you'll only get me to purchase one bottle of this...
    Waah, waah, waah! Pull yer panties up. Either boycott the stuff if you really want to protest, or quit complaining. And the only reason their is stuff still on the shelf near you is allocation - there is none of it near me. Only ever saw a bottle of Handy once.

And about the word Antique, Weller used it on 7 y.o. juice (now NAS) so what's the big deal. I believe they are referring to the style of whiskey, not actual age.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    And about the word Antique, Weller used it on 7 y.o. juice (now NAS) so what's the big deal. I believe they are referring to the style of whiskey, not actual age.
    You're probably right, when it was introduced as a 17 and 19 year old bourbon and an 18 year old rye they probably didn't intend for the age to relate whatsoever to the term "Antique".
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

The big difference between Weller Antique and Handy is price. 20.00 a 750 for the former and 60.00+ for the latter. 3.00 per year of age vs. 10.00+ per year of age is quite a significant difference. I can get Saz jr. for 26.00 a 750 regularly too so the Handy is of no significance to me at all. I got one from the first year and that was it. I consider it to be some considerable whiskey sticker shock and nothing else!

Thomas

Guru

As I have said before, I too think that the Handy is overpriced. BT folks, how about making Handy a regular release at $45? Just throwing that out there.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

As I mentioned in another thread, I am not thrilled to lay out $70 for any of the special releases, from any of the distilleries. It is certainly reducing the quantities that I'm buying. Unfortunately, that's about the competitive price point for these types of releases, be it 4R, WT, HH, or BT. The thing that makes the THH special for me, is that it's an Uncut, Unfiltered, Big 'ol Tasty STRAIGHT RYE. And, those types of puppies ain't necessarily growin' on trees. I too, love the Saz Jr., particularly at $26. But, even though it's from the same family as THH, I just can't use it as a comparison from a worth standpoint, to THH. Night and day, IMO. All this being said, I wouldn't mind a release with a few more years on it. But, every year that I've had so far has been stellar, regardless of the less than "antique type" age statement. That's why my ryedar will be pinging for Handy next month when it's released. Damn, it's only 11:19 and I done gots me a hankerin' for some Handy.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I can get Saz jr. for 26.00 a 750 regularly too so the Handy is of no significance to me at all. I got one from the first year and that was it. I consider it to be some considerable whiskey sticker shock and nothing else!

Thomas

Same mashbill, totally different whiskey. We don't even have any idea how old the NAS saz is anymore anyway (other than 4+).

As for being a regular release: There are only so many "good" barrels around, which is unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

As for being a regular release: There are only so many "good" barrels around, which is unfortunate.
    I don't even know what this means.

6 year old barrel proof Baby Saz = Handy. Have you had non-Handy barrel proof Baby Saz and compared it to Handy?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination