Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Thomas Handy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Same mashbill, totally different whiskey. We don't even have any idea how old the NAS saz is anymore anyway (other than 4+).
    Weller SR and Antique are bottled from the same barrel dumps. As it was told to me by a BT employee, "if the SR loses its age statement, then worry."

Count me in with the "too much for what you get" crowd wrt THH. It is too hot straight and even cut the price diff isn't worth it being unftered.

I consider myself a rye guy, too.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    6 year old barrel proof Baby Saz = Handy. Have you had non-Handy barrel proof Baby Saz and compared it to Handy?
    It would probably be easier to do the opposite and water the Handy down to the same proof as baby Saz. I have done this, and although I didn't have any baby Saz handy (no pun intended) for the sake of comparison, Handy seemed to lose its remarkability at that lower proof.

Erik's point about barrel selection is a valid one, but being a bear of very little brain, I don't understand why a barrel proof Sazerac is $70 when a barrel proof Four Roses is $55, a barrel proof Wild Turkey is $40, and a (virtually) barrel proof Old Grandad is $25. Other than the fact that people are willing to pay that much for it.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It would probably be easier to do the opposite and water the Handy down to the same proof as baby Saz. I have done this, and although I didn't have any baby Saz handy (no pun intended) for the sake of comparison, Handy seemed to lose its remarkability at that lower proof.

Erik's point about barrel selection is a valid one, but being a bear of very little brain, I don't understand why a barrel proof Sazerac is $70 when a barrel proof Four Roses is $55, a barrel proof Wild Turkey is $40, and a (virtually) barrel proof Old Grandad is $25. Other than the fact that people are willing to pay that much for it.
    Worth, is....what worth, is. And, I'll certainly not argue with anybody's determination of what something is worth to them. But, a comparison of the price of 3 barrel proof bourbons with the price of a barrel proof rye (the only BP rye) is like, as the adage goes, comparing apples and oranges.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    But, a comparison of the price of 3 barrel proof bourbons with the price of a barrel proof rye (the only BP rye) is like, as the adage goes, comparing apples and oranges.
    I completely agree with your points on most accounts Joe, but what gets my me the most the price and lack of age, and I do truly enjoy this stuff. When it first came out I went googoo gaga over it, and still love it.

That said, when it did first come out we all thought that as it continued to age we'd see older expressions, I know by now I expected to see a 10yo in the AC, but no, they keep dropping back to 6. Charging basically the same price as a 17yo Stagg is just outright wrong. Isn't there tax issues with how long it ages, and evaporation to be considered? It just seem ludicrous to me to sell these things at the same price. It would go a long way to keeping my interest if they continued to let this one age so at least we could see the progression of this great Rye as the years go on. Let's face it, the Saz18 is about dead. Sure it is still decent Rye, but the longer it sits in that stainless the flatter it'll become and it'd be encouraging to see what another Rye will be like as it ages.

I agree with Josh in that I'd like to see this as a regular product at a lower price point. Its time for these folks to realize they best catch up with the demand for regular issue UC/UF whiskeys, just look at the craze over Willett.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

Yup. And as long as you keep buying it.. they will keep raising the prices until it stabilizes out. There is obviously people out there that are willing to pay 120$ a bottle for the stuff, as evident from multiple online sources. As long as it keeps "selling out" within months of it's release, BT has every right to raise the price. Supply and demand.

I doubt they will listen to whining and complaining. Want to really kick BT where it counts? Don't buy it.
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I don't even know what this means.

6 year old barrel proof Baby Saz = Handy. Have you had non-Handy barrel proof Baby Saz and compared it to Handy?
    The barrels that were selected for Thomas Handy are the "best of the best," and were selected specifically for a specific profile. I don't think that profile lines up exactly with the regular sazerac profile, although it is similar.

I actually just cut some 2008 handy with water, and although I agree that it does lose some of its flavor and punch, I do not agree that it tastes the same as regular sazerac. partly this has to be because Saz is NAS while the 08 handy is nearly 7 years old, and secondly because of barrel selection (also, the lack of chill-filtering may have something to do with it). I challenge any of you who happen to have both on hand to do the same thing- they are the same mashbill but they are not the same whiskey. Even cut 50/50 with water, I think that the handy tastes better. Of course, taste is very subjective.

Look, to a point I'm with you guys here- I'd love to see it offered at a lower price point. But Joe is right, there simply is no other whiskey on the market that is anything like Thomas Handy, and as long as the rules of supply and demand keep being met it will keep being sold. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

What I really want to see is more ryes at a reasonable age, PERIOD. If there was a 10 year old rittenhouse expression at 100 proof, I'd buy it. if there was a 10 year old Sazerac expression, I'd buy that too. But until there's more of a market demand for rye in general, I just don't see anyone making any more that are worth salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    What I really want to see is more ryes at a reasonable age, PERIOD. If there was a 10 year old rittenhouse expression at 100 proof, I'd buy it. if there was a 10 year old Sazerac expression, I'd buy that too. But until there's more of a market demand for rye in general, I just don't see anyone making any more that are worth salt.
    hear hear! Why does Rittenhouse have to be either NAS or over 20 y/o?

We do need more ryes at a reasonable age (RaaRA). Kudos as always to Julian and the Van Winkles for the FRR. Ball's in your court, everybody else!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Our hope may lie in......................Beam.
    When they released (Ri)1, they said there was going to be a (Ri)2 and (Ri)3. Hopefully, they're reading our discussion, and will answer our prayers of an extra aged, uncut, unfiltered rye, with one of those two.

But, until then, I'm very happy with Handy.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Our hope may lie in......................Beam.
    When they released (Ri)1, they said there was going to be a (Ri)2 and (Ri)3. Hopefully, they're reading our discussion, and will answer our prayers of an extra aged, uncut, unfiltered rye, with one of those two.

But, until then, I'm very happy with Handy.
    That may be so, but looking at the price of (Ri)1, I'm thinking the 2 and 3 versions will be more expensive than Handy...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    That may be so, but looking at the price of (Ri)1, I'm thinking the 2 and 3 versions will be more expensive than Handy...
    And come in the same shitty looking bottle to boot.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet