Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Thomas Handy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    That may be so, but looking at the price of (Ri)1, I'm thinking the 2 and 3 versions will be more expensive than Handy...
    Can't argue with your reasoning there, Timothy.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

That may be so, but looking at the price of (Ri)1, I'm thinking the 2 and 3 versions will be more expensive than Handy...
    Or they'll learn based on lack of sales that it was too high and price it more appropriately. Based on 120 proof KC, they may be listening.

I have been saying for a couple years that we needed more middle age Ryes on the market. I think WT Rye would be freaking awesome at 8-12 years old. AND 101 proof, not this 90 stuff of RR.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Suddenly I have a thirst for some Beam Rye, while my inventory says I have a bottle here somewhere, I think it'll be easier to just go the the store...might even splurge on a (Ri)1...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Suddenly I have a thirst for some Beam Rye, while my inventory says I have a bottle here somewhere, I think it'll be easier to just go the the store...might even splurge on a (Ri)1...
    I almost splurged last week. I wasn't wowed with my first bottle of (Ri)1, particularly at the price point. But, my store has the price knocked down to $28ish, which is quite an improvement. Maybe, I'll head on down to the corner, too.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post

What I really want to see is more ryes at a reasonable age, PERIOD. If there was a 10 year old rittenhouse expression at 100 proof, I'd buy it.
    Actually there were one here several years ago Erik and it is still my favourite rye in the taste per buck division. I still have one left in my bunker.
    I do agree 100 % with your reasoning about the lack of “middle” old ryes.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    Actually there were one here several years ago Erik and it is still my favourite rye in the taste per buck division. I still have one left in my bunker.
    I do agree 100 % with your reasoning about the lack of “middle” old ryes.

Leif

Sweet. If I ever cross the ocean and happen to be in the neighborhood, would you be willing to open that sucker up for a sampling? Don't know if I will ever be in the neighborhood, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Sweet. If I ever cross the ocean and happen to be in the neighborhood, would you be willing to open that sucker up for a sampling? Don't know if I will ever be in the neighborhood, but you never know.
    Yes I will if it’s still around Erik.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    ...I wasn't wowed with my first bottle of (Ri)1, particularly at the price point. But, my store has the price knocked down to $28ish,..
    I'd be all over it for $28. I think (Ri)1 is not that super, but way better than standard Beam Rye and definitely worth 28 bills.

Guru

I do wonder if Beam is going to go ahead with subsequent Ri one...two...or three as planned. This group not withstanding, I have paid attention to liquor stores and bars. No one in this area is buying it. The strategy of marketing it to cocktail drinkers, at least in this market has failed.

Beam may have deep pockets to carry out this strategy for the long haul, but I wonder how far they are willing to go?
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Advanced Taster

I'm with the vocal minority here: I think the Thomas H Handys that I've tasted (2009 and 2010) are phenomenal, and is thus far my favorite rye to date. Admittedly, I haven't tried several of the other top shelf ryes, like the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, but I am blown away by the Handy every time.

I'd be happy to see it offered more widely, and I'd be happy to see it sold at a lower price, but I am also happy to pay the current asking price. I do sincerely thank each and every one of you who is unwilling to buy it at the current price, as you may well solve those twin distribution and cost problems for me.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.