Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    wripvanwrinkle

Re: Thomas Handy 2010

I'm with you, dbk. I don't even agree that it is all that expensive. At 65% abv (2009) and at a price of 60 USD locally, if it was sold diluted to 46% abv...it should sell at 49 USD. That is about the same price as High West (another 6/7 year old.)

This logic says nothing though about preference. I love THH because it has an "older whiskey" nose, and a taste that doesn't betray that nose. Furthermore, it walks that line between something elegant while not letting you forget that you are drinking a rye.

Ultimatley though, I think that there are 2 variables that work against some peoples evaluation the most. First, its colleague GTS is a crazy good value. Second, it is often compared against the VWFRR13...an absolutely amazing value (one of the few whiskeys that I buy every bottle that I can find.)
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 03-29-2011 at 19:54.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post
    I'm with you, dbk. I don't even agree that it is all that expensive. At 65% abv (2009) and at a price of 60 USD locally, if it was sold diluted to 46% abv...it should sell at 49 USD. That is about the same price as High West (another 6/7 year old.)

value (one of the few whiskeys that I buy every bottle that I can find.)
    If it were $60 I would buy it. But it's at a minimum of $70 here and most places that still have it at this point are selling it at $80 or more. So it's not a good deal at those prices, especially when VWFRR is a few dollars cheaper.

And you're welcome DBK.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If it were $60 I would buy it. But it's at a minimum of $70 here and most places that still have it at this point are selling it at $80 or more. So it's not a good deal at those prices, especially when VWFRR is a few dollars cheaper.
    I don't think this is necessarily BT's fault, though. I know someone in Maryland who claims he can find it for $58. The bottles I've found in New York, on the other hand, are closer to $85 (and the same place charges $100 for the Stagg). It seems like much of the price hike is on the State's, supplier's, or vendor's side of things

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    And you're welcome DBK.
    Thanks, Josh! Keep it up.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've never owned a bottle of the stuff but would like to. Whenever I've had it I have found it to be outstanding.

Taster

One of the local stores I frequent had a slew of '09 Handys for $59. I can't detect a huge difference between the last two years (they are both rich, explosive ryes). For it being a consistent barrel proof offering, I don't mind the price.
    Last edited by roostercogburn; 03-30-2011 at 22:21.