Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Best bourbon for the money?

OK. We've talked about our top 5, our bottom five, and everything in between. What I want to know is: What do you think is the best bourbon for the price thats being asked for it? I mean, what bourbon provides the best flavor profile for its price. It could be Kentucky Spirit for $40 or Ten High for $5.95. What do you think?

My personal preference, as I'm sure you know by now, is OF 100 proof. This bourbon packs the most flavor for the best price. I think what makes it my choice is that I would easily pay $20 for this one. At $15 it's a steal!

Advanced Taster

Re: Best bourbon for the money?

I would have to say virginia gentlemen 90 proof... mid/bottom shelf price, top shelf taste...

-Chris

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I don't know if Murphydawg is gonna be with me here but I'll say Ezra 7 year 101 packs the best bang for the buck. We need to quit doing this however , they may raise the price!

Disciple

Yep its a dead heat with Old Ezra 7/ AAA 10 in my book, on the high end I thing Wathens (@ 22 when I bought it) is a great value.

TomC

**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff the best bourbon is whatever tastes best to you for the amount of money you are willing, and able to pay. You're trying to kill me here! The bourbons that I like best are unaffordable to me as an everyday choice, but I have a 'short list' of about 20 bourbons that I keep on hand at all times. I can't afford to drink them everyday, but I sacrifice in other areas of my life in order to do so. Many bourbon drinkers simply can't do so for various reasons. We should be mindful of this. That being said - yes I think that Kentucky Spirit is the very best bourbon going and worth every penny. I only wish that I could afford to drink it any time I wanted it.

Virtuoso

EWSB for $22. It wasn't too long ago it was $20 with occasional specials to $17.

Enthusiast

All, Here is my vote and/or two cents! I believe it was Jeff who voted for the OF 100. I do believe this pour is one of the better for the money. ie: A quality bourbon that is affordable. I am a WT fan, and do believe they make the best bourbon for the money although. All of their bourbons...from the 80 proof (great sippin' whiskey) to the WT Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit. Even though these last two are higher priced than many (as has been discussed), are still arguably the best bourbons going! So, if your pocketbook is light...drink the 80...or if you just got paid...reach for the top shelf. By the way, I don't feel I'm settling a great deal if I reach for the 80 anyway! See ya, H'wood

Disciple

There is but a mere $2.00 difference between the 80 & 101 proof WT bourbons at my local store, and for that price I will skip right to 101!

TomC

Administrator in exile

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the best bourbon is whatever tastes best to you for the amount of money you are willing, and able to pay

[/QUOTE]

Linn, I think this is understood, but for the sake of entertainment and banter I thought it would be fun to hear what others thought was the best taste:dollar ratio. I mean we can all sit around and post "hey, I like what I like beacause I like it" but if we don't tell each other what that is and why, we would likely stop talking

To me Booker's at $40 is a better value than Russell's Reserve is at $23. OF 100 at $15 is better than AAA at $12. KS at $40 is better than most everything else

Guru

I will name three, I can't really choose between them. So, in no particular order: Wild Turkey 101 @ $19, Old Forester 100 @ $16, and Old Grand Dad 114 @ $22 (from out of state).

Tim