Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Sunday Morning, Coming Down

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Interestingly, you can get a drink beginning at 11:30am on Sunday at a restaurant after you order some food. Bars can't serve till noon.

Randy
    Randy's post in this thread got me to thinking:

• What's your favorite Sunday morning breakfast to revive one from the previous night and get ready to hit the bars at noon?
    • For extra credit: What's your favorite drink to accompany that meal? (Bloody Mary and Mimosa are obvious winners, so are removed from contention).
    • And for extra special bonus points: In what movie was the leading character's beer kept in the fish tank, for easy access?

Here's some theme music while you nurse your way through.
    Here's some theme music if your head doesn't quite hurt enough yet.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 06-30-2010 at 10:47.

Guru

Re: Sunday Morning, Coming Down

Here it is man, nicked from a previous post I put up.

Re: Bacon sandwich for hangovers
    Anybody here into Irish/English-style bacon? My wife is English, so we head over to this Irish butcher's place on the southside of Chicago once a month and stock up on "proper" bacon, as she likes to call it, as well as "bangers" (sausages) and "black pudding" (coagulated ox blood and seasonings pressed together in a sausage-style casing). It all sounds like shit, right? But when she makes up an English breakfast on a Saturday morning after a heavy night of drinking--I'm talking Irish bacon, bangers, black pudding, baked beans, fried mushrooms and cherry tomatoes (not battered, just pan fried in a bit of bacon fat), fried eggs and a few pieces of toast--man, you feel like a million bucks! There's just something about that grease that sorts you out. (In England and Scotland, they often finish off the cooking by frying up some bread with the remaining grease in the pan. Think French toast stuffed with bacon fat! It can't be good for the ol' arteries but it sure as hell tastes good.)

And a pint of Guinness, of course!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

A full english is the only option, with a good mug o tea!
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Guru

Fast food hambergers always does the trick for me, a Wendy's double and I'm good to go.
    ovh

Guru

3/4 to a pound of bacon, 4 eggs sunny side up, 3 pieces of whole wheat toast (two buttered to sop up the runny yokes, and one left dry) a tall glass of raw milk (I have my sources). At the end of the meal I take the dry toast and spread on a nice thick layer of blackberry preserves and wash it down with the remaining milk.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    • What's your favorite Sunday morning breakfast to revive one from the previous night and get ready to hit the bars at noon?
    • For extra credit: What's your favorite drink to accompany that meal? (Bloody Mary and Mimosa are obvious winners, so are removed from contention).
    • And for extra special bonus points: In what movie was the leading character's beer kept in the fish tank, for easy access?
    Roger
    1. Pancakes with maple syrup, maybe a side of scrambled eggs. (Don't know if I've ever walked into a bar at noon. Not even in my twenties.)
    2. Black coffee, no sugar. I can't say I've ever drank some hair of the dog, at least not until 18 hours later.
    3. Um, don't know. Lost Weekend? Nah, his drink was hung out the window.
    Last edited by jinenjo; 07-07-2010 at 20:42.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Trippah and Admin

Here's some theme music while you nurse your way through.
    Here's some theme music if your head doesn't quite hurt enough yet.

Roger
    Hey man, that's soap.

My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Roger

1. Corned Beef Hash spread evenly on the plate, two eggs sunnyside up, 4 sausage links with Maple Syrup poured all over.

2. Large glass of milk with about 5 shakes of tabasco

3. No idea really! Maybe a John Belushi movie
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Enthusiast

In the morning I usually wake up with a Gatorade or vitamin water, drink that quickly, then force myself to eat a greasy breakfast, usually mainly bacon. I'll drink another huge glass of water, drink some Emergen-C, greasy hamburger, then another Emergen-C and I'm usually good to go.

I struggle with remembering to stay hydrated... so once I get back in shape with that I'm good to go.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

Since all my worst "events" of this sort seem to happen in NYC and I'm typically in the company of an Asian buddy he always takes me to a nearby noodle shop for a big steaming bowl of noodles, broth and pork. He is a chemist and mumbles something about electrolytes but whatever it is it works really well. On particularly rough occasions a few BC powders and some Gatorade finish it off. Can't say I'm good as new but I can avoid spending hours in bed recovering.