Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Kentucky Bourbon Distillers recommendations

I'm the last one on this board that should chime in on KBD products, but I can't help myself.

Although it's all gone at this point, except as a dusty, KBD's Vintage 21yr Rye was amazing.(It came from that old Medley batch that resulted in Hirsch's 22yr Rye, Red Hook, Black Maple Hill 23yr...) Probably the best Rye I've ever had.

I also love KBD's Pure Kentucky. It's bottled at 107, and it's a great value. Old Bardstown Black Label 100proof is a great bottom shelf bottle. Rowans is tasty, but a bit sweet for my tastes. Also, Willet Pot Still is buttery smooth and goes down quick. Noah's is very complex, IMHO, and for that proof a good buy.

After saying all that, I better shut the hell up because KBD is none of my f--kin' business!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

All the Spec's (large liquor store chain) in Texas still sale the 15 year old Noah's Mill and 12 year version of Rowan Creek....or at least that what's the shelf tags say. Spec's don't seem to care that these products are now no age statement.

In my opinion, I would avoid KBD products with no age statements. That leaves you the Vintage series as a standard product. I have had a few of these and they are pretty good.

Of course there is the Willet's series, but that is all custom.

Disciple

Pardon me. Old Bardstown Black Label is 90, not 100proof.

Disciple

[quote=White Dog;221144].

KBD's Vintage 21yr Rye was amazing.(It came from that old Medley batch that resulted in Hirsch's 22yr Rye, Red Hook, Black Maple Hill 23yr...) Probably the best Rye I've ever had.
    quote]

Itís still available here. Are you sure its Medley I have always figured it to be old Bernheim.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

I could be very wrong on this, and if I am wrong I'm sure that Drew will tell me to shut the hell up, but I've been told that it was Medley.

In fact, I've been told that both Julian Van Winkle and the Kulsveens both purchased portions of that old Medley run. Julian tanked his at 19yrs, and still uses it as part of the VWFRR 13yr. The other portion of the VWFRR is a younger batch distilled at Bernheim, and maybe that is where the confusion comes from ?

Who knows, maybe the Kulsveens also bought some Rye from Bernheim. I don't expect to ever know the full story, given the nature of the Kentucky Whiskey business.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I could be very wrong on this, and if I am wrong I'm sure that Drew will tell me to shut the hell up, but I've been told that it was Medley.
    I am glad you are still posting.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Taster

I have to chime in on this thread because I also love the KBD Pure Kentucky. I first purchased this in Bardstown while at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival because I had never seen it here in Atlanta. I really liked the label and at 107 proof it seemed like a pretty good buy. At the time I had never heard of KBD. Since then Pure Kentucky is now available here and Kentucky Vintage as well as "Pot Still" Willett (I was fooled by the name as well). While I like them all, I still would like to know the provenance. Pure Kentucky is still one of my favorite bourbons.

I purchased a bottle of Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill a while back to compare without knowing they are both from KBD. I expect to like them now that I know they are both from KBD. I plan to open them and do a tasting this week.

Virtuoso

The current Vintage 17 is a wheater that drinks quite well. The current shelf offering of Johnny Drum, which is not age stated, was also quite good (for the $$) for an easy pour to enjoy with a cigar. I was a fan of the 15YO but it has pretty much disappeared.

As mentioned by prior posters the Willett bottlings can be exceptional if you find the right ones but there are also some that IMO should have never been treated as a single barrel.

Lastly, the Willett Rye, 3YO cask strength, is one of the better young ryes I have had as of late. At just over 115 proof it drinks decently neat and works well as a mixer.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I'm the last one on this board that should chime in on KBD products, but I can't help myself.

Although it's all gone at this point, except as a dusty, KBD's Vintage 21yr Rye was amazing.(It came from that old Medley batch that resulted in Hirsch's 22yr Rye, Red Hook, Black Maple Hill 23yr...) Probably the best Rye I've ever had.

I found 4 bottles of it this week so I am pretty excited to actually get my hands on it next week and give it a try. And bunker 3 bottles with a nice big smile.

Virtuoso

If you like wheaters you should definitly try the new batch of Vintage 17 from KBD. While the label is the same (almost) the Bourbon in the bottle is different than it has been for the last couple of years. I liked the previous batch but really love the current one and have bunkered several. I find it sweeter, balanced and with a little less wood.

Unfortunatly the only way to tell the two apart is that the label on the new version is just a little lighter shade of green. Very hard to tell which is which unless they are side by side but when they are it's obvious. Also I think the price is higher on the new batch.

I'll second Reid's take on Johnny Drum as a good value tasty pour.

I have long been a fan of both the 21 and 23yr Ryes. If you want some you better get them now because there won't be any more.

If you have decided you don't like anything KDB markets because they are bottlers and not producers you are missing some good whiskey.