Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Bourbon received as gifts?

Now that the Holidays are past for most of us, any bourbon received as a gift? Jo and I bought ourselves a bottle of Kentucky Spirit since it is one we did not previously own. How about you? Greg

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bourbon received as gifts?

Greg most of my family do know to give bourbon at Christmas but don't as they consider it the work of the devil. A few however did gift us with; Jim Beam White Label, Jim Beam Black Label, and Evan Williams Single Barrel 1990. Kentucky Spirit isn't available here so I always ask for Blanton's or Knob Creek, but somehow it always turns into Jim Beam. That's fine as I have consumed more bottles of Jim Beam than everything else put together. I started drinking Jim Beam in the Army and continued to do so for many years afterward. I would sometimes "splurge" and buy one of the premium brands; Old Grand Dad & Wild Turkey. Before Jim Beam I was an avid Virginia Gentelman drinker until they ruined it. It was only three or four years ago that I really began to explore different brands of bourbon.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Connoisseur

I actually forgot that I received a bottle of Knob Creek before the holidays as a gift. I, too, only branched out with Jim being my most regular bourbon and occaissionally Jack but always in Coke until I visited the Jim Beam Distillery and started sampling small batch products over ice.

thanks, Linn. Who else?

Greg

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

I have just started "collecting"(not for drinkin) bottles of Heaven Hill brands.It is awful hard to keep my husband from opening them! I have always thought that one day I will come home and one will be opened until Christmas Eve when my son gave Pat a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel 1990. I would have bet my life that he would have opened it and took a shot! WRONG! He put it with my collection (I have 3) and it is still there. He said he is saving it for a special occasion. What a surprise!

boone

**DONOTDELETE**

Betty Jo,

That Evan Williams Single Barrel 1990 is very drinkable and quite delicious. Tell Pat that it's Tuesday and that 's special occasion enough to have a taste. :-))

Linn Spencer

The Boss

I'll say. EWSB is some of the best bang for the buck on the market. I'd think "next week" was a suitably special occasion!

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Novice

I bought myself the last bottle of 20 yr old Hirsch my local liquor store had in stock. Haven't opened it yet. There's a microbrewery in downtown Milwaukee with a great bourbon selection. I can get glasses of 20 yr old Hirsch there for $8. I'm going to wait until I finish theirs before I open mine.

Andy

**DONOTDELETE**

Eight bucks a shot Andy? Youch! How much jack did it cost to get that 20 year old in the sack?

Linn Spencer

Novice

Linn,

I paid almost $90 for my bottle of 20 yr old Hirsch. I've seen it for $15 a glass other places. So I consider $8 a bargain. If I can find Hirsch at this sort of price, I'd rather enjoy one glass of it than 2 glasses of $4 bourbon.

I wouldn't normally buy that expensive a bottle of anything. But all the 20 yr old is supposed to be bottled now and shipped. This was the last chance to get my own stash. It is special tasting stuff. As is the 16 yr old.

And I was very good last year.

Andy

**DONOTDELETE**

Of course I bought the new Pappy 20 year old for John (Like I won't enjoy it also!) and a copy of Carsons book. He read the book before from the library but never owned a copy. Thanks JoeB for the info on Alibris.com. Its a great place to look for old out of date books on Bourbon.

~Linda~
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey