Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    251

    Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    I'm looking for a christmas gift for my good friend from high school. He married a girl and I met my wife/the love of my life, through he and his wife. We have a standing Thursday night "Man Night/Gentleman's Night" in which we indulge ourselves with 25 cent oysters and $10 pitchers of beer. Sometimes he treats himself to a jack on the rocks following our beer and oysters.

    The question is... For Christmas, should I get him a 750 ml bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel or should I get him something that will indulge his urge to experiment? When he comes over to my house he wows at the amount of diversity in my collection. Trust me, I've got maybe 45 open bottles, which is nothing compared to EVERYONE on this board. So, the dilemma remains... should I buy him what I would consider the nicest bottle of Jack off the shelf, in my price range, or should I buy him something that will push him outside of the box? Something that will push him outside of his comfort zone, but yet something that I feel will open his eyes to the magical world of bourbon.

    I sit here on the couch sipping my OFBB 2007 asking for your input/help. What to buy a good friend for christmas? The budget is set at $60, which includes tax.

    And.... respond.

  2. #2
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    Quote Originally Posted by bourbonNOOG View Post
    I'm looking for a christmas gift for my good friend from high school. He married a girl and I met my wife/the love of my life, through he and his wife. We have a standing Thursday night "Man Night/Gentleman's Night" in which we indulge ourselves with 25 cent oysters and $10 pitchers of beer. Sometimes he treats himself to a jack on the rocks following our beer and oysters.

    The question is... For Christmas, should I get him a 750 ml bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel or should I get him something that will indulge his urge to experiment? When he comes over to my house he wows at the amount of diversity in my collection. Trust me, I've got maybe 45 open bottles, which is nothing compared to EVERYONE on this board. So, the dilemma remains... should I buy him what I would consider the nicest bottle of Jack off the shelf, in my price range, or should I buy him something that will push him outside of the box? Something that will push him outside of his comfort zone, but yet something that I feel will open his eyes to the magical world of bourbon.

    I sit here on the couch sipping my OFBB 2007 asking for your input/help. What to buy a good friend for christmas? The budget is set at $60, which includes tax.

    And.... respond.
    Perhaps a Blanton's, or Four Roses Single Barrel.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    453

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    The hardest thing about giving a good gift is determining between what you want to give and what that person would actually like. You didn't actually say, but if your friend has commented on a particular bottle of yours that he enjoyed, I'd start with that. Otherwise I think the "upscale" Jack is something he wouldn't necessarily splurge on for himself, but you know he'll enjoy it. I'm betting if he hasn't ever bought anything but Jack, he probably would prefer the latter. Don't project your willingness to experiment on him.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    677

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    If the budget is $60, I'd get him two really good bottles that were pretty divergent: say, Elmer T. Lee--which is sweet and pretty smooth, yet still retains some burn--paired with, say, OGB BIB, which has a more heft and spice.

    Or maybe a rye-heavy bourbon that you like paired with a wheater you like (Again, OGD BIB and since you like it, OFBB. That'd be under $60 in most places, I'd guess: OGD about $18, OFBB $35-$38)

    Two $30 bottles is good because it not only exposes him to two different styles, AND makes it twice as likely that he'll like one of them, it also shows how great a $30 bottle of bourbon can be.

    And finally, even if he really dislikes one of them (or even both) they'd at least be tolerated by him cut with ginger ale, or as an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan.

  5. #5
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    I like the two bottle idea, though I'd get him a bottle of Dickel #12 and something else...maybe a Weller 12yo.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,414

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    I would go with your original idea, Jack Single Barrel.
    You said he's wowed by your bourbons but didn't say he drinks any of it.
    He does drink Jack and if you gave him the upgrade Single Barrel I think it would come across as a more personal gift.
    If you were to give him a bourbon he might get a whiskey snob vibe from you.
    ovh

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    251

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    Thanks for all the input guys. At this point I'm leaning toward the Jack SB. He did have good things to say about my FR 120 Anniversary bottle, which is about $15 above the budget. I have a bottle of FRSB but it sits unopened. Does anyone know how it compares to their 120 anniversary limited release?

    He doesn't drink bourbon as often as I do and I've just recently coaxed him into drinking it neat or over ice. In the past it's always been mixed with coke. So... keep the suggestions coming, the FRSB was good idea or the Dickel, those are both pretty decent bottle I think he would enjoy. I know of (2) 2006 OFBB sitting on the shelf, but I've read that the 2006 isn't the most beloved one of the bunch. I just polished off my 2007 last night and if I would get another one of those if I could find one around here. It was oh so tasty.

    Thanks again for thoughts.

  8. #8
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    Quote Originally Posted by bourbonNOOG View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. At this point I'm leaning toward the Jack SB. He did have good things to say about my FR 120 Anniversary bottle, which is about $15 above the budget. I have a bottle of FRSB but it sits unopened. Does anyone know how it compares to their 120 anniversary limited release?

    He doesn't drink bourbon as often as I do and I've just recently coaxed him into drinking it neat or over ice. In the past it's always been mixed with coke. So... keep the suggestions coming, the FRSB was good idea or the Dickel, those are both pretty decent bottle I think he would enjoy. I know of (2) 2006 OFBB sitting on the shelf, but I've read that the 2006 isn't the most beloved one of the bunch. I just polished off my 2007 last night and if I would get another one of those if I could find one around here. It was oh so tasty.

    Thanks again for thoughts.
    Hey Adam...if he liked the 120th I can grab you a bottle of Binny's OBSK which is that same recipe and it will come in right at about $58-60 out the door...I'll be back in Chattanooga the first week of December!

    The FRSB uses OBSV so it's going to be different then the 120th.

    Let me know...I'm happy to help out and get him something he'll really like!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,414

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Hey Adam...if he liked the 120th I can grab you a bottle of Binny's OBSK which is that same recipe and it will come in right at about $58-60 out the door.
    I think that is the best suggestion that has been made.
    ovh

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    745

    Re: Alright here's the deal... Christmas for a good friend...

    Quote Originally Posted by bourbonNOOG View Post
    The question is... For Christmas, should I get him a 750 ml bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel or should I get him something that will indulge his urge to experiment?
    Get him the Jack. To indulge his urge to experiment, give him some 50ml bottles, either commercially available, or fill some from your collection.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Pretty good deal
    By RedVette in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 07:23
  2. What a deal
    By Paradox in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 13:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top