Early in my SB.com days, and before the financial storm clouds loomed so ominously over the B'B'D household, I splurged on a purchase of mainly frivolous Wild Turkey goods from the Wild Turkey Store .

Besides the steak sauce, the hat, the tee-shirts, and the ballpoint pen, I also bought something that I have found to be of lasting value, a pair of Wild Turkey shot glasses .

Now I'm not a connoisseur of glassware, but I have developed a fondness for these glasses, even though one of them has a noticeable flaw -- a speck of some dark material embedded deep within the glass. I like their look, and I like their hefty feel in my hand. However, I would choose a different glass if I were trying to concentrate the aroma of bourbon for serious nosing.

This glass features the familiar turkey profile and the brand name, both etched into the side of the glass. I presume that the markings would hold up to repeated trips through the dishwasher.

The interior bottom tapers to a truncated cone, as does the exterior bottom. When the glass is full, viewed from the side it appears as though both the interior space and the exterior space are filled with bourbon. The glass is fluted around the bottom, 14 flutes, about 3/4 of an inch high.

Today I finally got around to measuring the capacity of this glass, which I had always suspected is well in excess of of the one and a half ounces claimed in the description on the website. I carefully measured two ounces of WT101 in a measuring cup and then poured it into the glass. The bourbon came to within 1/4 inch of the rim, exactly even with the top of the turkey's head. A little precarious, perhaps, but I carried it to the computer room with no spillage -- I make the capacity to be a full two ounces.

Perhaps someday I will calibrate the glass for a quantity that approximates a bar shot.

Call me juvenile if you wish, but there's something very appealing to me about drinking my favorite everyday bourbon from an appropriately labeled glass.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield