Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: True or False: Older wheaters (10+) are generally better than young (8yrs or less

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Well, granted, I got nothin' on Oscar -- but I think you're talking 'apples', and I'm thinking 'oranges'.
    Most of my significant and germane experience with wheaters is 'older' -- as in, 'distilled earlier' -- not 'older', as in 'longer in the barrel'. And, I'll repeat what is, by now, a standard mantra of mine:
    For any brand/label/distillate that spans eras (think, W.L. Weller, Old Fitzgerald, Jim Beam, Jack Daniel's, Old Taylor, Old Grand-Dad, et al), 'older' -- as in "distilled earlier" -- is better! Regardless of how long it spent in its barrel!
    More recently, current Pappy 23 is much more 'woody' and oaky than those bottled in 1999 and 2001, for example, and just not as good, in my humble opinion. But, if you didn't buy those relatively limited editions, how would you know -- ya know?
    I don't really like the current Pappy 15 everyone else raves about, at least compared to the defunct precursor, ORVW 15 -- just too much oak! But, if you've never had the latter, how do you compare the former?
    In short, I'm just suggesting you categorize your generalizations within distilling eras -- because previous renditions may well be different animals altogether.
    I think were reading the same book, different pages. My comment was more along the lines of JBW @ 4 yrs v JBB @ 8 years, or BH at 9 years (same proof as JBW). I'm talking today not distant past. This might be a stretch but OWA 107 @ 7 years v ORVW 107 @ 10 years v Pappy 15. Again, this is not exact truth but just a generalization. Most prefer ORVW &/or Pappy over OWA. Of course IMHO.

Advanced Taster

Re: True or False: Older wheaters (10+) are generally better than young (8yrs or less

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    I think were reading the same book, different pages. My comment was more along the lines of JBW @ 4 yrs v JBB @ 8 years, or BH at 9 years (same proof as JBW). I'm talking today not distant past. This might be a stretch but OWA 107 @ 7 years v ORVW 107 @ 10 years v Pappy 15. Again, this is not exact truth but just a generalization. Most prefer ORVW &/or Pappy over OWA. Of course IMHO.
    As a long-standing SB.com member, I feel I must point out that Basil Hayden is NOT from the same mashbill as JBW or JBB. BH uses a higher percentage of rye and is made from the same mashbill that Beam uses for OGD (86, 100, amd 114). It might be better to compare JBW (4/80) and JBB (8/86) to Baker's (7/107) and KC (9/100), or JB Distiller's Series (7/90).

Here endeth the lesson.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Enthusiast

Matt,
    The post was in response to age not mashbills. I know BH is not the same mashbill as JB.

Disciple

I really like the woody stuff. It's a flavor that can only be obtained by spending 20 years or so in a barrel. I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

I was once on a tour of 4R's Cox Creek facility and we got to sample some whiskey right out of the barrel. One of the guys on the tour asked for, and received, extra char. I don't remember if he actually swallowed it. He did try to grope me later that day tho.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I was once on a tour of 4R's Cox Creek facility and we got to sample some whiskey right out of the barrel. One of the guys on the tour asked for, and received, extra char. I don't remember if he actually swallowed it. He did try to grope me later that day tho.

I love the stuff. I must say that I also love the bottom of a cup of french press coffee as well. I like getting down to the Nitty Gritty.

Trippah and Admin

Barrel char = Funky Cold Medina
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    As a reference, here's the video.

Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina

Irreverent One

Josh (some call him Dirk) writes:

He did try to grope me later that day tho.
    It's your fault for wearing those tight jeans.

On the subject of old vs young wheaters, lessee,

I like Weller 12 more than Weller SR.

I like current VSOF more than current OF 1849.

I like Lot B and PVW 15 better than ORVW 10/107 (although I'm still convinced that the only bottle I bought of the ORVW was from a bad batch).

I like PVW 20 better than PVW 15.

Price increases faster than quality, however. PVW 20 costs roughly four times what Weller SR costs. It's not four times better.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 11-04-2010 at 10:37. Reason: Meant "Weller SR" not "WR". Fixed it.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post

...I like getting down to the Nitty Gritty.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    It's your fault for wearing those tight jeans.
    No means no. I'm going to keep telling grown-ups until one of them believes me.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog