Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 11/10: Eagle Rare Single Barrel

Sorry I'm a bit late getting the BOTM posted this month. I've had a lot going on, and kinda spaced it.

Anyway.................... The bourbon of the month for this month is Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year old, 90 proof.

ERSB is somewhat of a gateway bourbon for me. When I first got interested in bourbon, I had MM, WR, and KC. ERSB was the first bourbon I bought after joining SB. I like this bourbon. It's a shame I don't have a pour of it more often.

The nose to me has that musty, earthy smell that BT is known for. In the background is a hint of acetone. The taste again, has that earthy quality. Grass/tobacco, leather, and a slight sweetness or fruitiness, that I wish there was a little more of. I know some people might disagree with me, but ERSB for some reason reminds me a little of a wheated bourbon. Oh well.

Happy posting! Joe

PS. I would like to thank Silverfish for sending me an alphabetized list of past BOTM's. It makes it a lot easier to see what has and hasn't been BOTM before.
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 11-03-2010 at 14:32.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Re: BOTM 11/10: Eagle Rare Single Barrel

Always been a good (if not great) pour for me. Seems like I'm seeing it more often in high-end bars and restaurants where it is a welcome change from the usual suspects.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Hi Joe

When I first started drinking Bourbon.About a year ago.Eagle Rare 10 Year 90 was one of my top 5.I love its balance and Carmel flavors.In my neck of the woods I can buy this for $21.50 when on sale.This Bourbon is a great value for the money.I am amazed that this bottle always seems to hit the recycle bin more often then other bottles in my collection.

Regards,Mike
    Last edited by M14Shooter; 11-03-2010 at 15:55.

Disciple

I've been slowly draining a 1.75L and it's mighty tasty. I really like the earthy dryness I get from it. It seems to have it's own thing going on. The more I have it the more I like it.

Disciple

Before transforming from wine to whiskey fanatic I twice brought home ERSB mostly on the recommendation of some of my favorite Binny's wine sales consultants. I recall feeling it was okay but really less than impressed and it certainly was not my gateway bourbon (but still went back for seconds). I now realize it has been more than three years since I have had ERSB and need to have another visit soon and see what I think now. The BTAC and 101 iterations are some of my faves too.

Advanced Taster

As my name suggests I was a HUGE fan of the 10/101, if you like this one you should taste the original!

While on my Nov 09 vacation we stopped by BT and I got a 1.75, which I consumed largely sitting in a hot tub on the deck of a cabin in the Smokeys above Gatlinburg. The bottle I had (if I can remember that far back) had a bit of a bite on entry with the earthy/leather tones joe mentioned, slightly sweet mid way with a good slightly caramel after taste. A very pleasant drink without quite the UMPH of the original.

When coupled with one of the Cuban Cohiba maduro 5s that somehow followed me home there was a lingering taste that reminded me of the after taste of a good yest roll, which lasted for an hour or more, very pleasantly lingering in the back of the mouth.

While not quite measuring up to the original (at the price what could), I think ERSB could be a standard in the cabinet when I get home.

Disciple

ERSB was the first "expensive" bourbon I ever bought. I got it after working my way through nearly all the $20-25 bottles at my local store.

I really like it, but find that there are many bourbons I like just as well for less money. I did however recently purchase a bottle while traveling in Wisconsin because it was priced about $5-10 cheaper than what I can get here. I was surprised at how flavorful it was upon coming back to it. I am like most people though, I would love it even more at a higher proof.

Here are my notes on the flavor:

Deep, rich flavor with nice woody notes without being tannic. The alcohol seems to disappear behind the caramel and dark vanilla notes. There is a slight musty note at the end, but I have grown to love that in BT products.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Deep, rich flavor with nice woody notes without being tannic. The alcohol seems to disappear behind the caramel and dark vanilla notes. There is a slight musty note at the end, but I have grown to love that in BT products.
    That's the best tasting notes I've read on ER 10/90.

I was on hiatus from ER 10/90 for a good 8 months and bought a bottle last month. It disappeared pretty quick. I love the flavors in this bottling and it's my favorite regular BT product.

I'm very happy to pay a few bucks more for this taste profile. The nose smells just like the distillery parking lot.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

ERSB 10/90 is one of the BT products that is often picked by a lot of liquor stores for their own private bottlings. I've been fortunate to try a few of these over the years. Here's the ones that I remember, and my opinion of them.

Binny's.
    This was a pretty darn good bottling. Nice and full of flavor. Had that caramel, nutty flavor going on more so than a regular bottling. Not a lot of mustiness, but it did have the tobacco flavor going on IIRC.

Otto's in Milwaukee Wisconsin.
    I was in Milwaukee a couple of years ago, and stopped at one of their stores. The had their bottling of ERSB on sale for $19.99. If they would have given me a 10% discount, I would have bought a case. Since there was no discount because of the sale price, I only bought one bottle. Sure glad I only got one. This didn't taste anything like ERSB. It was very dry and had a harsh, bitter taste to it. No tobacco taste here. More like hay or grass. There was also a lingering taste of acetone on the finish that was very unpleasant.

Julio's
    I think it was back in late 2007 or 2008 that I purchased a couple of different bottlings from them. The two bottles I purchased from Barrel 34 (?) were great. Rich with caramel/toffe, and just a slight hint of the tobacco/leather/mustiness BT is known for. The balance between the two flavors was amazing.

The Angels Share bottling was downright fantastic. No mustiness in this bottling at all. Caramel, toffe, and nuts (pecan maybe?). There was also a sweetness there that I couldn't place. IIRC, it wasn't fruity, but a bit floral. This bottle went down very, very easy, and didn't last very long.

I also seem to remember that I picked up another private bottling a year or so ago, but right now the who and where escapes me. Must have been pretty close to a regular bottling, because I was neither impressed, nor disappointed. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

ERSB has been my ol' reliable since I got into bourbon a handful of years ago and I've only had one bottle that disappointed. It used to be amazingly consistent but in the last year or so I've noticed a great degree of variability. But I'm usually pleasantly surprised and intrigued.

I like a bit of that mustiness and have found that, as far as ERSB is concerned, the mustier bottles are also the most rich and complex ones.

Damn good hooch!

Cheers!