Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 11/10: Eagle Rare Single Barrel

I've had best luck with the 1.75L bottles.

Advanced Taster

I've been working on a bottle of ERSB for some time now, alongside a bottle of Old Charter 10/86. Both are pleasant enough, with the ERSB being a little richer in flavor. I doubt whether I'll go to much trouble to buy any more, inasmuch as I prefer plain ole Buffalo Trace to either.

Novice

I had a pour of ERSB last night neat. I found it to have that mustiness to the nose, a mild honey at the start and it had a very strong oak flavor on the finish. Pouring it again tonight this time with a cube to see if there is a change.

Connoisseur

I finally opened the ER Binny's selection. I guess I'd describe it saying its chief virtue is being mild and almost no burn. This would be a good gateway bourbon for those that like Crown. It's near the opposite end of the bourbon spectrum compared to WT Rare Breed, but they're both good.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post

ER

This would be a good gateway bourbon for those that like Crown.
    I always suggest ER1B to someone who isn't into bourbons when they ask me what they should start with.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I always suggest ER1B to someone who isn't into bourbons when they ask me what they should start with.
    I've given bourbon twice to friends as a gift. Both times it was ER1B.

Ditto. That is usually my first recommendation also.

When I lived in KY, this was one of my favorites. But then in the 80's I moved to a control state where most all stores didn't stock it - and never even heard of it. I asked to order and they said they could only get a case. I said no problem, it'll sell and I'll buy a lot. It became a fixture. That same scenario was repeated in three stores and now it's a fixture everywhere in the state.

I sip it from time to time but it's been years since it was regular pour. Though I didn't have developed palate when it was a regular pour, back then I found it to be a very consistent product from one bottle to the next. Several posters noted that this is not true today. Now I'm intrigued and want to go back to it and sample several looking for differences.

I wish they would mark the bottles by barrel number or something, but then they sell such volume that would be hard. Going back to the same shelf doesn't do much good here. For other single barrel products that are marked, I'll note three or five different lots on the shelf at one time. Maybe it would work better for the 1.75 but I'd hate to invest that much sampling different 1.75's and end up with an inferior one staring at me for years. But then an inferior ER is better than lots of other stuff. I'm sure friends would help me make it disappear.

Disciple

I'm enjoying my first ever pour of ER1B now, and I'd have to agree. Pretty enjoyable, but I would like to try the 101 or a slightly higher proof version. At this price point, I could find bourbons I enjoy more, but I wouldn't turn this down.

Advanced Taster

I just had my first taste of Buffalo Trace and have to say that it's absolutely delicious. So my newbie question to all of you is: since ERSB uses the same mashbill as BT, how does the taste of the two compare?

I'm in Ohio and the price difference between the two is about $5, is it worth the extra cost?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
    I just had my first taste of Buffalo Trace and have to say that it's absolutely delicious. So my newbie question to all of you is: since ERSB uses the same mashbill as BT, how does the taste of the two compare?

I'm in Ohio and the price difference between the two is about $5, is it worth the extra cost?
    If you're concerned about a $5 price difference then I suggest leaving this board immediately. It will be highly detrimental to your wallet to read any further.