Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Expanding my spirits drinking.....

I'm an American whiskey drinker pretty much exclusively. I don't like beer other than some home brew stuff a guy at work makes. Wine is ok, but I don't drink much. I don't like Scotch, Irish whisky, or Canadian whisky either. All have flavors I just can't get past. I'm looking at possibly trying some rum, gin, brandy, cognac or other non-vodka spirits. My one friend is a gin drinker and really likes it. Some of my other friends like rum and brandy. What's some good ones that are inexpensive to try? Also, looking at my above dislike list, what would be ones to avoid? I'm looking at maybe a bottle of this:

http://plcbusersgroup.org/guide/spirit/130

I'm all about BIB products and this would be a real variance from bourbons and ryes. Any thoughts, comments, or other info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I should note I drink everything straight. I don't like mixing my drinks.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Expanding my spirits drinking.....

Paging Josh to the NWA forum...Josh please report to the NWA forum...
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Is this a good thing?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Is this a good thing?
    Yep, Josh is a proponent of Laird's BiB.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

What Irish whiskey have you had? Redbreast is great. I really haven't had too many spirits other than bourbon. I know I hate vodka, and clear rum. I don't think I like gin either, only had it once, mixed. A case of Tanqueray gin fell and busted at work, smelled like rubbing alcohol. Gross. I've only had one Scotch, JW Black Label, didn't care for it, granted it's nothing amazing.

So I guess I don't have much to add. I'm all ears as well, hah.

Some decent Absinthe may be worth a shot, or Chartrousse.

Virtuoso

Absinthe has its place in a good sazerac for sure. Not sure if I would want to drink it neat, though.

As for other liquors- definitely try the Laird's apple brandy. I'd also recommend Zaya Rum for a rum to try, I'm not a huge rum drinker and I really like Zaya.

As for gin? I can't stand gin. I used to really like it in Tom Colins' cocktails, but I'm not sure I'd go for those anymore either. I'm sure someone on here will be able to recommend something, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Yes I am indeed a proponent of Laird's (or Laid's) BiB. It's kind of like an apple bourbon. That may sound gross, but it's not. It's the real thing, not like Laird's Applejack which contains GNS or those sticky sweet "fruit brandies" for fru-fru drinks sold by DeKuyper, Arrow, et al.

I drink it just like a bourbon, neat or with a couple of ice cubes. It even does well in mahattans and other cocktails that call for bourbons or ryes. Here it's under $20, and at 100 proof, it's hard to beat.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Maybe I'll pick up a bottle then. It's a special order through or "state stores" but it's only $20 so it seems like it's worth the price and the wait to get it.

Disciple

The BIB Laird's Apple Brandy is excellent. I can't get it locally, but I always buy a bottle when I see it on a shelf.

The 12yr, on the other hand, is OUTSTANDING. That one I CAN get locally, and I always keep one around. It's such a great spirit. I've got a bottle of the 7.5yr on hand, but I haven't opened it yet. Maybe now, I will.

If you like bourbon, and are venturing outside the realm, Laird's brandy is a really good starting point.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    The 12yr, on the other hand, is OUTSTANDING. That one I CAN get locally, and I always keep one around. It's such a great spirit. I've got a bottle of the 7.5yr on hand, but I haven't opened it yet. Maybe now, I will.
    Funny, the BiB is available here, but not the 12 y/o. How much does it go for in your neck of the woods? I saw it last time I was at Binny's, but I remember it being kind of on the pricey side.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog