Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: heaven hill

Hybrid View

Taster

heaven hill

While I am new to this forum I am not new to bourbon. I am more capable with bourbon than I am with computers. I have tasted most of the bottling that have been discussed.Two that I like that I have not seen discussed are Dowlins BIB anjd Even Williams 10 year 1783. The former has a barrel flavor that makes the objectionable grassy flavor that I find predominate in Heaven Hills lower end product disappear The later has an interesting spiceness to it.Does anyone else find the less expensive HH products i.e. Mattingly and Moore,T>J Samuels,Henry McKenna et. al to have a vegatal flavor that is unpleasant. None is this is present with Elijah Craig or Evan Williams. Maybe they use differnet mashbills.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: heaven hill

First welcome to the forum , may your stay be pleasant. HH is supposed to be a 1 Mashbill house , ' cept for a couple things. They are planning to run a wheat if it isn't being done already, for Old Fitzgerald. They also have a Rye that is hard to find anywhere but Maryland, I don't know why. I have tried a few of these lower end HH offerings and was having a good time with them until I opened a bottle of Old Bardstown, Once biten twice shy. The ones I like, Echo Spring, JTS Brown, H Mckenna ( Not the single barrel , the cheap one) . Guthrie McKay owner of Toddy's commented about the Dowling that it was worth much more than the asking price of around 8-10 dollars a bottle. I don't find the vegatal flavors but would have a hard time labeling them if there. These bourbons probably would be lacking if you tried to drink them after a super good pour, but if you start the day on them they hold up well.

Taster

A few years ago while on a tour of the area I went into Toddy"s to buy a case of bourbon to take home. I was talking with the owner, and commented on how Early Times used to be a bourbon and was now a 'Kentucky Whiskey". I didn't know how seriously bourbon is taken in the Bardstown area. The owner said to me he was aware that Early Times was no longer a Bourbon and commented that he thought that Brown Forman were ' whiskey whores' . I remember that well as I got a kick out of the comment

I think you can still get Early Times Bourbon in Japan. At least they didn't screw with Old Forester but I guess that would really be on the verge of the sacreligious. They found a way to make ET cheaper and it appeals to some they sell a lot of it. Too bad a little ET Bourbon isn't available to us. The only thing people in Bardstown take more seriously than Bourbon is Bardstown itself!

Guru

I think I saw Early Times on my last visit to some of the Naval/Air Force bases around the Norfolk VA area. I'm going down there again early April, so I'll double check then. Nothing ever prompted me to want to buy a bottle though...

--> Mark R.

Administrator in exile

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    These bourbons probably would be lacking if you tried to drink them after a super good pour,

[/QUOTE]

Read: George T Stagg??

No not even close, Everything is lacking after Stagg. I was thinking more along the lines of AAA or Old Forester, Wild Turkey. Just good solid stuff . I can see why you might go there !