Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Rock Hill Farms question

A liquor store up here in Virginia has several bottles of Rock Hill Farms that they special ordered and was never picked up for $55 a fifth. I've never seen it in SC so I was wondering if it is worth it. Thanks for input.

Virtuoso

Re: Rock Hill Farms question

I like RHF, but there are many BT iterations that I like just as much for $20 cheaper.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Novice

In the North Carolina ABC stores, it is $49.95. That said, most of the stores do not stock it, but they can order it and sell it at that price.

RHF is one of my favorites. I picked up a bottle when I was visiting Louisville last month, but I cannot remember what I paid for it there.

Disciple

RHF is a good bourbon. The current bottle on my shelf is spectacularly minty. I really enjoy this one.

is Rock Hill Farms just a different version of BT bourbon? Who makes it? So much to learn!

Virtuoso

RHF is made from Buffalo Trace's higher rye mashbill (#2). There are several different bourbons from that mashbill: Ancient (Ancient) Age, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock President's Reserve, Blantons, Elmer T Lee, Virginia Gentleman.

They also have a lower rye mashbill (#1) that includes: Benchmark, Eagle Rare, Old Charter, Buffalo Trace and George T Stagg

Their wheat mashbill includes the Weller and Van Winkle lines and their Rye whiskey mashbill gets the Van Winkle Ryes and the Sazarac lines.

They now own the Tom Moore distillery and thus all of those mashbills as well. There is a recent post covering that as well.

Of course mashbill is not all that matters. There is significant variance among different bottles based on a number of factors, but that information should get you started. If you like Eagle Rare, then try Old Charter for a cheaper pour. If you love Elmer T Lee (or any of the others in Mashbill #2) then you might feel more comfortable buying a bottle of more expensive RHF.

Hope that helps.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Rock Hill Farms question

Rock Hill Farms is one of my two or three top favorites. I would pay $55 for it in a heartbeat.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    RHF is made from Buffalo Trace's higher rye mashbill (#2). There are several different bourbons from that mashbill: ... Rock Hill Farms...Blantons...
    I seem to recollect reading here somewhere that Blantons and RHF are about the same age, but that lesser barrels go into Blantons (which BT makes under contract for another company), keeping the better stuff for RHF. I also recollect someone here saying, "RHF is what Blantons would like to be when it grows up."

All the more reason that it's strange that Blantons is displayed on the BT website and RHF is not. Being another RHF fan, it makes me a little nervous...
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

WOW! Thank you for all of this info, I LOVE this website!!!!!!

I have to say, honestly, the folks on this site are so cool..thanks, I love learning this stuff.

Another Oregon boy? Nice!