Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just do NOT understand how you go "dusty hunting"...

Maybe it's because I've always lived in state controlled liquor store states that this doesn't work....but, I dunno..a lot of y'all make posts on here with pictures of amazing booze you've found that some stores just RANDOMLY have in the back (I guess?) that are like 15-25 years old....and I simply have NO CLUE how you ever go about this process of randomly finding old, out of production nectar....can someone please explain exactly how you go about this whole process?!?!!?

I mean, I drop into liquor stores of interest whenever I see new ones, but I've always been in Oregon and Washington, and since the state runs those stores, they go through their stock super quickly, so how exactly do you all find, say, Wild Turkey from the '70's or Old Taylor?!?

Please educate, (if you don't mind, of course!), I'm completely clueless....

Thanks!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: I just do NOT understand how you go "dusty hunting"...

I lived in WA for 9 years and now back to my home state in TX. There is no dusty hunting in WA. The sate, for all it's faults, does an excellent job of inventory rotation.

But here in Houston we have privately run liquor stores. They can stock whatever they want. In Harris County alone, we have over 530 liquor stores. They have bought stuff that did not sell and it sits on the shelf, sometimes for 20 plus years. So, you can find these dusty bottles. Also, stores close and another store buys the inventory. Sometimes maybe they had stuff sitting in boxes in back and it now gets "found".

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    I drop into liquor stores of interest whenever I see new ones
    There's your first problem.

Guru

Michigan is probably the most benevolent of control states. The extent of the state's involvement is as wholesaler, or a kind of meta-distributor and setting minimum prices. Liquor stores are all privately owned, so we do have plenty of those magical back rooms.

I'm not a great or even good dusty-hunter by any means, but there are two different ways I do it. One way is if I'm by myself going from one place to another and time is not of the essence, I'll just stop at every liquor store along the way.

The other way is when I plan a sort of campaign. I'll look up all the stores on a particular street or in a certain town and try to hit as many as I can.

I also try to have an "exit phrase". If they ask if they can help me find something, and they have nothing of interest on the shelf, I either ask if they have Four Roses or Old Rip Van Winkle. That usually leaves them scratching their heads, and I can get out of the store without having a long annoying conversation or feeling pressured into buying that bottle of Old Crow that has been on the shelf for 2 years.

Anyway, neither method is any better than the other. But one thing is constant: in about every ten stores, only one of them will have something interesting. So persistence is the dusty hunter's best friend.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Ha...I do the same thing Josh...usually I'm looking for a bottle for a customer and my staple bottle is ETL...if they carry that I go with ORVW.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

The Voshole

You might want to check this out

http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html

Gary
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Virtuoso

I have two techniques that work for me.

1- Get on your motorcycle and drive long distances stopping at every small out of the way Liquor store you can find.

2- Visit Wade in Houston and let him drive you to some of his honey holes of overstocked poorly managed liquor stores.

The second technique is by far the most expeditious and successful.

Enthusiast

My favorite technique is to go into liquor stores with bars on the windows. They usually look at me like they can tell I'm in the wrong end of town, but those tend to be some prime hunting grounds!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Enthusiast

Go to any bigger city in a non controlled state. Hit the worst parts of towns, focusing on any sections where the demographics have changed drastically over the last 20-30 years. Don't wear a jacket, and by all means don't take a lady friend with a purse. Daylight hours work best (the clientele is sober and you are less likely to be thought of as a theif). Have your random bottle question ready in your mind, for when the "can I help you?" question comes up. Take $1 bills with you to buy cans of Coke or a shooter (this is often easier than talking to the owner/employee. They aren't used to our questions and often don't know bourbon from peach shnapps.

Have fun. It's a blast!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Go to any bigger city in a non controlled state. Hit the worst parts of towns, focusing on any sections where the demographics have changed drastically over the last 20-30 years. Don't wear a jacket, and by all means don't take a lady friend with a purse. Daylight hours work best (the clientele is sober and you are less likely to be thought of as a theif). Have your random bottle question ready in your mind, for when the "can I help you?" question comes up. Take $1 bills with you to buy cans of Coke or a shooter (this is often easier than talking to the owner/employee. They aren't used to our questions and often don't know bourbon from peach shnapps.

Have fun. It's a blast!
    This put a smile on my face. It is essentially how it works but I don't buy something just because I went into their store. Even in a control state I've purchased cases (12 bottles) from stores like this. I think for me those days are now largely over for me. I still like going dusty hunting but unless they have something that I really desire I'm not too interested.

Not dusty but I'm having a hard time purchasing the BTAC bottles at $75 to $85/bottle. I must be getting old.