Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Am I the only one who likes Pikesville?

Don't see it mentioned very often here....and for $12/bottle, which is by FAR the cheapest booze I can get here in LA that's not dirty bathwater, I think it's fabolous...anyone agree? I think it's FAR better than Overholt or Jim Beam Rye, as it's really just a younger version of Rittenhouse 100...correct? I had heard that the only diff between that and Rittenhouse BiB is the aging......but what do I know, I'm a newbie.

What say you, Bourbon Nation? I am out of my mind, or is Pikesville pretty decent juice for the $? I really love using it for manhattans or my fave drink of the moment, Rye N Stormy.

Cheers,

B~

Virtuoso

Re: Am I the only one who likes Pikesville?

Absolutely agree. It's one of the best bangs for your buck in American whiskey. Of course, at 80 proof, it's also lower abv than Rittenhouse, but still good stuff, and great for rye cocktails.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2009/...ooze-take.html

*e-high five*

A sage of wisdom about booze agrees....so I'm not out of my mind, sa-weet.

Virtuoso

Sage? Well, thanks for that, but far from it. I'm just another smartass with a blog (though I do, of course, know where to find those BTACs in LA).

Disciple

Agreed! The low proof and light nature of the whiskey makes RittBIB a step above. I've only recently acquired a bottle of Pikesville, and I will buy another.

Irreverent One

Never had Pikesville, but a semi-local store started carrying it not long ago.

Say you lived in some Mythical Land(1) where prices were set not by market forces but by Wizards(2) who base them on Secret Lore. In this place WT rye is priced at $22.95 and Rittenhouse BiB and Pikesville both at $21.45. Would the Pikesville still be worth buying?

(BTW, I like WT Rye)

1. Oregon
    2. The OLCC
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Say you lived in some Mythical Land(1) where prices were set not by market forces but by Wizards(2) who base them on Secret Lore. In this place WT rye is priced at $22.95 and Rittenhouse BiB and Pikesville both at $21.45. Would the Pikesville still be worth buying?
    No. RittBIB would win every time. I would buy the WTRye, but not as often as the RittBIB. I found out recently that WTRye was better than WTRRRye.

Born and raised in Oregon, and boy, do I NOT miss that part of it...

the OLCC are Grand Visars of idiocy....

Yeah, if Pikesville is $21 and Rittenhouse is too, you gotta go with Rittenhouse. Hell, for me, unless I step to buy some High West Rendezvous Rye for $50, you can't beat Rittenhouse. I think Rittenhouse is better than baby Saz, I think it's the best rye you can get for under $50.....

That said, if you go somewhere not evil like OR, Pikesville is good.

Enthusiast

Re: Born and raised in Oregon, and boy, do I NOT miss that part of it...

I am seriously trying to score some for a tasting...

me want!
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Disciple

Wow, do I love this thread.

RittBIB and WTRye continuously battle for my soul. They are quite distinct from one another, so my preference will vary from day to day, but I agree that these two Ryes are the best under $40. (Baby Saz and WTRRRye pale in comparison.)

Humchan2k, feel lucky that you have access to both Pikesville and RittBIB, as both have left the shelves of Wisconsin months ago, and no one knows when they will return. I do like Pikesville as an 80 proofer, and I also enjoy Ritt80 whenever I can find it, as I did yesterday in a dusty, sleepy liquor store for $11.49. I feel that both are way better than Overholt and JBRye. Not to be a Beam hater, but Fortune Brands makes crappy straight Rye, IMHO. (If you want any type of rye flavor from them, drink OGD114.)

A plea to all producers: The world needs some 8 to 12yr Ryes at around 100proof. Rye drinkers beg you. And for goodness sake, please stop tanking your old Rye!