Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Am I the only one who likes Pikesville?

I would think Rittenhouse and Pikesville have different mashbills. If you go back in history a few short decades, Rittenhouse was made by Continental Distilling in Philadelphia as a higher-end Pennsylvania-style rye. Pikesville was made by Standard Distillers (I think?) outside Baltimore and was a higher-end Maryland-style rye. While both are now made by Heaven Hill, Maryland-style and Pennsylvania-style ryes often varied from one another in mashbill and flavor.

Yesterday I went down to Baltimore to a liquor store and while I was there (Maybe a half-hour), at least 4 bottles of Pikesville flew off the shelf. I was amazed at the pace at which it seems to be sold down there. The bottle I had of Pikesville wasn't too impressive, but I think I'd have to go back and try it again because at the time I was really into the milder, sweeter wheated bourbons. I LOVE Rittenhouse BIB. Next time I'm down in Baltimore I may pick up another bottle of Pikesville. I just wish it was 4-6yo and 86 proof!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Pikesville was 4yr Rye in the early to mid 2000's. Some SB members may still have a bottle as I handed out a few at"04 KBF". A few year's ago it was changed to a 3yr and was more widely distributed. I doubt if the mashbill is different from Rittenhouse.
    Dave G.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I still have my bottle Dave and it's unopened. I'm not a big fan of rye, but will open it to see how it compares to Ritt.

Was it really in '04? Boy, time flies.

Randy

Connoisseur

Randy, I think it was the same year you brought the Van Blankle. But it could have been '05. Anyway it would have a different taste profile than the "Ritt".
    It is a good mixer.
    Dave G.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I'm hearing Fleichman's Rye is a huge bargain although I haven't tasted any yet. Seems like I heard it came from the same source as Pikesville but I don't know for sure.
    I loved Fleishmann's rye and used to get a handle of it every time I went up to visit family in Wisconsin (the only place I ever saw it), but then about five years ago or so, it went from four to three years old and wasn't as good, and then shortly after, it disappeared. I don't think it's produced anymore.

It was light and full of rye, and I liked it on the rocks as a light before-dinner drink. (Aperitif seems like too fancy a word for it.)
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner View Post
    I loved Fleishmann's rye and used to get a handle of it every time I went up to visit family in Wisconsin (the only place I ever saw it), but then about five years ago or so, it went from four to three years old and wasn't as good, and then shortly after, it disappeared. I don't think it's produced anymore.

It was light and full of rye, and I liked it on the rocks as a light before-dinner drink. (Aperitif seems like too fancy a word for it.)
    It's still produced by Barton (Tom Moore). Jay at the Party Source is going to try to see if he can stock it.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    It's still produced by Barton (Tom Moore). Jay at the Party Source is going to try to see if he can stock it.
    He better hurry up before it's all turned into Baby Saz.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner View Post
    I loved Fleishmann's rye
    So that searches can find this thread, I'm going to spell it correctly:

Fleischmann's rye.

Means flesh-man, or meat-man, no doubt a meat vendor.
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

i just came across the Pikesville the other day. i had never seen it before and was curious, so i grabbed a bottle. not bad at all. i wanted to learn more and found a nice little write up here:

http://www.ellenjaye.com/majestic.htm

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Pikesville is a good rye. It's the same juice as Rittenhouse. It's just not widely available.