Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

McClelland's scotch

My local store recently started carrying McClellands single malt. Can any of you give me some backround on this? Is it worth purchasing? So far, the only one they have is the Islay expression.

Connoisseur

Re: McClelland's scotch

Eric,

The McClellands are not bad especially for the price. They average 5 years of age IIRC.

Islay - Bowmore

Lowland - Auchentoshan

Highland - Glen Garioch

Speyside - ??? Craigallechie

Anyone with more info on these.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    My local store recently started carrying McClellands single malt. Can any of you give me some backround on this? Is it worth purchasing? So far, the only one they have is the Islay expression.
    While I agree that they might be value for money, the last time I check I found them to be lacking in quality. My single malt bar for entry is higher. Speaking of the Islay malt, if memory serves it tasted like an unimpressive expression of Bowmore, which is hardly the most interesting of Islay malts IMO. My vote is to save up a bit more and purchase something else

Yeah, the 5yo Bowmore/Islay is pretty raw. I like, however, the Auchentoshan/Lowland, for the money.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Thanks for the insight, guys. I routinely spend a lot more for malts, but I thought this might be one of those reasonably priced daily drams, ala Evan Williams Black Label for bourbon.

I suppose for $22.00 I should just go ahead and pick one up and see what I think.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Thanks for the insight, guys. I routinely spend a lot more for malts, but I thought this might be one of those reasonably priced daily drams, ala Evan Williams Black Label for bourbon.

I suppose for $22.00 I should just go ahead and pick one up and see what I think.
    Someone gifted me the Highland version but it was pretty non-descript. For a similar amount of money you can buy Speyburn 10 which I found much better and decent for an entry level single malt.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I think theyall taste good for the price. He you can get a half gallon of the islay for 36 bucks. I like young islay whiskey.

Virtuoso

Well, I picked up a bottle. For the money, It isn't bad. It's definitely Islay whisky, albeit a bit raw, but not undrinkable. It seems to me to be heavy on the tar/medicinal side. It finishes dry with some pepper. It isn't something I would drink all the time, but it isn't bad .

Connoisseur

I thought the Speyside malt was not bad. It has soft citrus and marshmallow flavour and a surprising amount of smoke. I would consider buying it again. I can't be bothered with their Islay malt.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I thought the Speyside malt was not bad. It has soft citrus and marshmallow flavour and a surprising amount of smoke. I would consider buying it again. I can't be bothered with their Islay malt.
    I agree. If I want a budget Islay I'd buy Black Bottle or Islay Mist, both of which are better and cheaper.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet