Any visit to Sam's (a Chicago institution and the World's Largest Liqour Store) is worthy of a post, so here goes.

The first thing I looked for in the Bourbon section was Stagg. The last time I was there, they had a shelf label for it, but no bottles. This time, alas, even the shelf label was gone.

On the plus side, however, they now have Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, but at $50.99 a bottle, they will have my bottle a little longer. I did pick up a 1.75 L of Old Forester 100 proof for $21.79, quite a nice whisky for that price.

At the moment, I am sipping some 15-year-old Ezra B., acquired for the quite satisfactory price of $23.99/750 ml. I'm detecting a cough syrup flavor, but I mean that in a good way.

I was very happy to see a large quantity of Van Winkle 13-year-old Rye on the shelf and picked up two bottles, one for me and one for my dad. ($23.99/750 ml each) After some experimentation with other ryes on the market, he seems to have taken a particular liking to that one. (I come by my good taste honestly.)

I don't recall seeing anything else that was particularly interesting. I did pick up a few bottles of cheap red wine, but who cares, right?