Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Unopened carry-in question

I picked up a couple of bottles today around lunchtime, then went across the street to a restaurant for lunch.

Now, I put the bag in my trunk. Then a thought struck me:

Generally, what are the rules for carrying your bag of unopened bottles into a place that is not licensed to sell liquor, such as a restaurant or grocery store?

Is this verboten, right up there with carrying of dangerous weapons, or something that is not a problem if the bottles are still sealed?
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Unopened carry-in question

it's my bag and it's nobody's business what's in it....though i will avoid taking alcohol to places where it's illegal, like public schools (most of the time, anyway)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Re: Unopened carry-in question

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I picked up a couple of bottles today around lunchtime, then went across the street to a restaurant for lunch.

Now, I put the bag in my trunk. Then a thought struck me:

Generally, what are the rules for carrying your bag of unopened bottles into a place that is not licensed to sell liquor, such as a restaurant or grocery store?

Is this verboten, right up there with carrying of dangerous weapons, or something that is not a problem if the bottles are still sealed?
    Laws of this sort are state-by-state and, depending on the state, can even differ by city or county, so it would depend on the law where you are. However, I can't say that I've ever heard of a law anywhere that would prohibit someone from taking sealed bottles into an establishment if there was no intent to open and drink them. Of course, I certainly haven't reviewed all of the liquor laws out there, and considering how weird some of them are, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this existed somewhere.