Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Pappy 15 vs. william larue weller (BTAC) question?

The local liquor store has two bottles of Pappy 15 and two Wellers (BTAC) saved for me at about $55 each. I love the Pappy 15 but want to know how the Weller compares to it. Thanks

Enthusiast

Re: Pappy 15 vs. william larue weller (BTAC) question?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The local liquor store has two bottles of Pappy 15 and two Wellers (BTAC) saved for me at about $55 each. I love the Pappy 15 but want to know how the Weller compares to it. Thanks
    They're comparable, but I would say that the Pappy 15 has a longer finish to it, and probably one of the nicest noses of any whiskey I've ever had. I've not got the palate to break down every flavor in there and give you detailed tasting notes...

The Weller can be nice because it's uncut and unfiltered, so among other things, you can knock it down with water to any concentration you like. I personally prefer my wheaters around 100-107 proof, and the Pappy is already there.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    If you can, I would take one of each home and you will have a great time learning the best qualities of each. I couldn't pick one over the other.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dustyj View Post
    If you can, I would take one of each home and you will have a great time learning the best qualities of each. I couldn't pick one over the other.
    If you never had either then this is what you should do.
    I'd go for the Larue but there are people here that would go for the P-15.
    ovh

Disciple

I suggest buying them all. If you buy one, you're going to kick yourself down the road for not buying the other. If you buy one of each, you're going to kick yourself down the road for not buying a second of each. Just get them all, the buyers remorse will wear off long before the enjoyment of each bottle.

I have developed some very deep reasoning skills for buying whiskey. I would imagine most have as well.

Disciple

SMOWK is right. Buy them all, you will be sad later if you don't.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Get them both (all four bottles). You wont regret it. I like trhe WLW better but the PVW 15 is excellent as well.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I suggest buying them all. If you buy one, you're going to kick yourself down the road for not buying the other. If you buy one of each, you're going to kick yourself down the road for not buying a second of each. Just get them all, the buyers remorse will wear off long before the enjoyment of each bottle.

I have developed some very deep reasoning skills for buying whiskey. I would imagine most have as well.
    I could not agree more. I saw 3 ORVW 10/107 and two Pappy 15 at a store a week ago. I had the liquor manager get the 3 ORVW but only one Pappy. As I stood there, contemplating leaving the last Pappy there, I knew I would regret it as soon as the last bottles vanished from the shelves. The day after, I forgot how much money it cost, but it's great seeing my PVW/BTAC shelf overfull, spilling onto my SW/Weller shelf, which is spilling onto my WT/Willett shelf...

I dunno how many PVW 15 I have, but I'm two more away from running out now.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Disciple

I'll vote for the one of each versus buying them all, especially if you haven't purchased a lot of other bourbons and I assume, by your question, have some limits to your funds (and yes I'm starting to feel like the poorest guy around here with all the recent posts on large purchases of VW and BTAC releases). I'm a believer in variety and these are undeniably great but there are others as great and will be others to come.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    ...I assume, by your question, have some limits to your funds...
    That's what credit cards are for. Oh, wait a minute, they have to be paid back. Credit cards and a store with good selections are a bad combo for the wallet but a good combo for the bunker. I'd opt for all four bottles and hope the tax refund check will cover it.