Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BOTM 12/10: Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 yr BIB

Hey! I'm on time this month. Thanks to a suggestion from Scott (CorvallisCracker), Henry Mckenna Single Barrel 10 yr BIB is this months bourbon of the month.

My thoughts; In nosing this, I smell citrus and eucalyptus as well as a touch of smoke/wood. As far as the taste goes, I haven't had a lot of bourbons from the HH lineup, but this is the first one that I've had where I can really taste the citrus flavor that everyone says is so prevalent in HH bourbons. It's a bit different for me, what with me being a wheater guy and all. Spice, citrus, and wood/smoke. Not a bad combination. The 100 proof gives it a bit of a bite, but it's more warming than overpowering. The finish is just fair. While it doesn't fade away into oblivion, it's not one that stays around very long either. IMHO, I think this is a pretty fair bourbon, at a decent price. IIRC, I paid around $25 for the bottle I have.

Let's here what you have to say. Cheers and have fun. Joe

PS. Once again I'd like to thank Scott, and all the other members who have given me ideas and suggestions. I appreciate all the help. Even though this isn't that hard of a job, it still makes it easier.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Re: BOTM 12/10: Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 yr BIB

I agree: a good bourbon and a good value. Certainly one of the better HH offerings
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

I have a bottle that's been sitting on the shelf since early summer. I don't know why I haven't opened it. I guess I was waiting for this...

Disciple

Another one I've never tried, guess I'll have to make another bourbon run in December.

Guru

Can't beat the price as with all of HH's line up.
    $29.95 here, which is a great price for a 10yo, 1B, BIB.
    ovh

I occasionally come across older bottles of this around here for under $27 when I do I buy them and I have yet to be disappointed. I love it and I think it is very unique in it's flavor profile. Not what I used to think of it, but after drinking it for a while I learned to appreciate what it was.

Good choice Joe, I wish I had a bottle on hand. Maybe I'll hunt around some and see if I can find a deal, but with what I've spent recently on BTAC I really shouldn't.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

Just opened my bottle. First impression. YUM! Great nose and big flavor. Minty. I'll try to sort it out and post notes later.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Minty.
    Welcome to the world of HH.
    ovh

Guru

Thumbs up Re: BOTM 12/10: Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 yr BIB

I am having a pour of it, now. This bottle was purchased in Kentucky in July, 2005. If I like them, I make them last. I like this one. It is just a bit harsh on the back of the tongue, but the flavor is excellent. Nice legs in my crystal glass, too.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

I love the 80 proof, how does this one compare? Does it retain a similar flavor profile (obviously more intense with proof and aging)? The 80 proof is a terrific "dessert" bourbon.