Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

MGP Wheated Bourbon

I noticed a few Indy area retailers are promoting the release of Spirit of America Bourbon. It doesn't look like anything special from a bourbon standpoint, although the producer is donating $1 to Hope4Warriors which is pretty cool. I don't know the cost but will find out soon enough.

However, what intrigued me was what I found when I researched the brand. The producer (who appears to also be looking at distilling) is up front that the source of the bourbon is MGP. Not all that unusual except this bourbon is 51% Corn, 45% Wheat, 4% Malted Barley. Since I can't recall any MGP wheated bourbons, I did a little research and found this mashbill was one of the newer mashbills they started distilling in 2013. Obviously, this is a young bourbon and the producer is upfront about it.

I am just curious. Has MGPI/LDI ever produced a wheated bourbon (e.g., prior to 2013)? Are they producing a wheated bourbon for other brands?

Connoisseur

Re: MGP Wheated Bourbon

Birth of a new mashbill? That sounds very exciting!

Can't say I'm on board at 2yrs of age, as you mention, but the future looks bright if this will be an option for NDPs moving forward.

Enthusiast

A bit surprised it took them that long, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some wheated stock aging in the 4+ yr range waiting for the right buyer and maybe waiting to get it into the OWA age range.

People were already paying special attention and talking up the wheaters when I got into bourbon and that was a few years ago now. Doesn't seem like something that would get past MGP without notice, only time will tell if they acted on it but if they did now would be exactly the time to put some out and make a premium (see weller 12 hysteria).
    Last edited by ramblinman; 02-28-2015 at 00:30.

Advanced Taster

That mash bill sounds very interesting. I'm putting an entry in my Outlook calendar 4 years out to remind me to check on this.

Connoisseur

I remember a post in the not too distant past. It listed several different available bourbon mash bills for MGP (including the wheat). I don't know if that means they have been making all these, and there is aged stock around. I sure would like to see a wheated MGP bourbon at 4 or more years and 90 or more proof.

Guru

MGP announced these new mashbills a couple years back and Chuck discussed them on his blog. I don't know if they're from scratch or if MGP dusted off some old Seagram recipes but there should be some interesting products in the future.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

For those of you who want to read a little more about what MGP is making and selling, here's a link to their webpage describing their "beverage" alcohol products.

http://www.mgpingredients.com/alcohol/beverage/

Click on <View full product list> at the bottom of that page to see their mash bills. And, here's a link to their July 2014 press release about their "new" wheat whiskey product.

http://www.mgpingredients.com/news-a...265401351.html

I didn't look through the older pages to see if they had related releases - those would have been posted under their old management when they were not as "consumer friendly" in giving us info as they are now.

Disclosure: I own a few shares of MGPI.
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 02-28-2015 at 08:08. Reason: typo fixing, of course

Guru

Thanks Harry, good stuff. I noticed their web page offered custom blending of different whiskys as well as the usual offerings.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I'd love to know which NDP/labels are bottling the 36% Rye and 99% Corn recipes. Alas...

Guru

I've often thought that MGP doesn't get enough credit for their distilling expertise. They make some fantastic ryes that can purchased at a reasonable price even after being bottled by a NDP.