Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 225

Thread: Whiskey Tree

  1. #1
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,866

    Whiskey Tree

    Does anyone know of a good whiskey tree/chart like the one that OscarV has put together for Four Roses? It would be nice to have the same line-up for other distilleries. Listing mashbills, and what products come from them.

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    475

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Does anyone know of a good whiskey tree/chart like the one that OscarV has put together for Four Roses? It would be nice to have the same line-up for other distilleries. Listing mashbills, and what products come from them.
    Can you show a link to OscarV's post for reference?

    It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

  3. #3
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,281
    ovh

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    4,987

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Jeff "Mozilla" listed out the BT mashbills a while back, but I'm too lazy to find the post right now. So from memory...

    Beam
    Beam Mashbill- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's
    Old Grandad Mashbill- OGD, Basil Hayden
    Rye- JB Rye, Old Overholt

    Brown-Forman
    Old Forester- Old Forester, Woodford Reserve
    Early Times
    Jack Daniels
    Rye- Current source of Heaven Hill's Pikeville and Rittenhouse ryes.
    Also sells to many NDPs.

    Buffalo Trace
    #1, high corn- BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Geo. T. Stagg
    #2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Hancock, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms, Virginia Gentleman (no longer produced), Bowman Single Barrel
    Wheat: Everything Weller, Van Winkle Family Reserve "Lot B"*, Old Rip Van Winkle*
    Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye (?)

    Diageo
    Dickel- George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

    Four Roses
    See Oscar's thread above. Also sells whiskey to Diageo that presumably goes into Bulleit and maybe I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.). Also produces the overseas version of McKenna.

    Heaven Hill
    Rye Bourbon - Heaven Hill, JTS Brown, TW Samuels, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna (U.S.), Parker's Heritage (except for 2010), et al. Also probably the source of Luxco's Ezra Brooks line.
    Wheat Bourbon- Old Fitzgerald, Parker's Heritage 2010. Also probably the source of Luxco's Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.
    Wheat Whiskey- Bernheim Original
    Rye Whiskey- Future source of Pikesville and Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, current source of Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)
    Also sells to many NDPs.

    LDI
    Precise mashbills unknown, but sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, High West, W.H. Harrison and Cougar (Australia).

    Maker's Mark
    Maker's Mark

    Tom Moore
    Barton- Very Old Barton, all proofs +???
    1792- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, +???
    ??? and ???- Ten High, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Tom Moore
    Rye- Fleischman's Rye
    Before it was purchased by Sazerac, sold to a lot of NDPs.

    Wild Turkey
    Bourbon- Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve Bourbon
    Rye- Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye

    Brands on the market with whiskey from closed distilleries:
    Mix of Medley Rye and Cream of Kentucky rye from Bernheim distillery- Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    Stitzel-Weller- Pappy Van Winkle, Jefferson's 17

    *Brand not owned by the distiller.


    I'm sure I forgot something but there ya' go. I need coffee
    Last edited by Josh; 12-08-2010 at 05:09.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,782

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Jeff "Mozilla" listed out the BT mashbills a while back, but I'm too lazy to find the post right now. So from memory...

    Beam
    Beam Mashbill- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's
    Old Grandad Mashbill- OGD, Basil Hayden
    Rye- JB Rye, Old Overholt

    Brown-Forman
    Old Forester- Old Forester, Woodford Reserve
    Early Times
    Jack Daniels
    Rye- Current source of Heaven Hill's Pikeville and Rittenhouse ryes.
    Also sells to many NDPs.

    Buffalo Trace
    #1, high corn- BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Geo. T. Stagg
    #2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Hancock, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms, Virginia Gentleman (no longer produced), Bowman Single Barrel
    Wheat: Everything Weller, Van Winkle Family Reserve "Lot B"*, Old Rip Van Winkle*
    Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye (?)

    Diageo
    Dickel- George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

    Four Roses
    See Oscar's thread above. Also sells whiskey to Diageo that presumably goes into Bulleit and maybe I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.). Also produces the overseas version of McKenna.

    Heaven Hill
    Rye Bourbon - Heaven Hill, JTS Brown, TW Samuels, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna (U.S.), Parker's Heritage (except for 2010), et al. Also probably the source of Luxco's Ezra Brooks line.
    Wheat Bourbon- Old Fitzgerald, Parker's Heritage 2010. Also probably the source of Luxco's Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.
    Wheat Whiskey- Bernheim Original
    Rye Whiskey- Future source of Pikesville and Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, current source of Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)
    Also sells to many NDPs.

    LDI
    Precise mashbills unknown, but sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, High West, W.H. Harrison and Cougar (Australia).

    Maker's Mark
    Maker's Mark

    Tom Moore
    Barton- Very Old Barton, all proofs +???
    1792- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, +???
    ??? and ???- Ten High, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Tom Moore
    Rye- Fleischman's Rye
    Before it was purchased by Sazerac, sold to a lot of NDPs.

    Wild Turkey
    Bourbon- Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve Bourbon
    Rye- Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye

    Brands on the market with whiskey from closed distilleries:
    Mix of Medley Rye and Cream of Kentucky rye from Bernheim distillery- Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    Stitzel-Weller- Pappy Van Winkle, Jefferson's 17

    *Brand not owned by the distiller.


    I'm sure I forgot something but there ya' go. I need coffee
    All of this from memory? What are you? Rain Man?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    4,987

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    All of this from memory? What are you? Rain Man?
    Can't post now, ten minutes to Wapner...
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,963

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    The only thing I noticed you left out was JB rye is also the same rye mash bill for Ri (1)
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    4,987

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    The only thing I noticed you left out was JB rye is also the same rye mash bill for Ri (1)
    Thanks Paul!

    Beam
    Beam Mashbill- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's
    Old Grandad Mashbill- OGD, Basil Hayden
    Rye- JB Rye, Old Overholt, Riš
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  9. #9
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,866

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    All of this from memory? What are you? Rain Man?
    That IS quite impressive!

  10. #10
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Whiskey Tree

    Actually, LDI's mashbills are the only one we can truly figure out, besides Four Roses. Just check the LDI website, which is fascinating.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. the famile tree of a given bottle of bourbon
    By DowntownD in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 07:44
  2. Is whiskey aged in wood healther than young whiskey?
    By WineGuy in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 15:50
  3. Whiskey Family Tree
    By Xander in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 15:06
  4. Compass Box Spice Tree
    By CrispyCritter in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 19:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top