Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Tree

Disciple

Re: Whiskey Tree

Alright Josh! Yet another interesting chart that comes out of SB.com. This one serves as somewhat of a guide to what kind of mashbill you prefer. Now if I could only figure out what day of the month I prefer that mashbill, I would be that much closer to knowing what to pour, and when to pour it.

Connoisseur

Does Dant belong in Heaven Hill, Rye Bourbon category?

Enthusiast

Amazing job, Josh. That has to be the most extensive list of bourbon info I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure you could ask someone to delete your posts and charge people for a spreadsheet of it...

Did you not include the Four Roses percentages because they were already included in Oscar's Four Roses post? Or are you waiting to include them in Whiskey Tree 4.0 - Bigger, Faster, Stronger?

Guru

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    This is awesome, Josh.

So HH and WT have the same mashbill for both Bourbon and Rye? Weird.
    Yeah it is odd, but that's what the book says. It's worth noting that the WT Rye mashbill is listed as approximate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Does Dant belong in Heaven Hill, Rye Bourbon category?
    Yes, I included that among the "et al" but now that you mention it, it would be helpful to put Dant in there since it's still a widely distributed line. It will be in the next revision.

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Amazing job, Josh. That has to be the most extensive list of bourbon info I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure you could ask someone to delete your posts and charge people for a spreadsheet of it...

Did you not include the Four Roses percentages because they were already included in Oscar's Four Roses post? Or are you waiting to include them in Whiskey Tree 4.0 - Bigger, Faster, Stronger?
    I didn't include them for two reasons:
    1) Out of deference for Oscar and all his hard work in that thread. The man brings me BBQ, I have to give him props.
    2) Sheer laziness, the same reason I didn't list out the LDI mashbills.

I'm glad everybody's enjoying this project! It's nice to put my brain to use doing something other than sorting diapers.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Hey, Josh, it dawns on me that the first thing I said about this was trying to correct something. But my main thoughts about it is how great it is, and thanks for your work. It's super informative, and fun to look at, to boot.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Hey, Josh, it dawns on me that the first thing I said about this was trying to correct something. But my main thoughts about it is how great it is, and thanks for your work. It's super informative, and fun to look at, to boot.
    No worries. Glad you enjoy it and if you notice anything else in need of correction please speak up!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Great work Josh!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Great work, Josh.

I don't know if HH changed their rye-recipe bourbon mash bill when they moved to Bernheim, or if Gary got the old one wrong, but from Craig Beam pretty recently I got the following: Mash is 78% corn, 12% malt, 10% rye. Could have changed due to high prices for malt and rye. Sorry I didn't ask about the OF mashbill.

Also, 18% of the volume in the mash cooker is backset.

I know that the rye mash bill and wheat mash bill are both 51% rye/wheat respectively, so the mash bill is most likely 51% rye/wheat, 37% corn, 12% malt.

Regarding the yeast HH uses at Bernheim, when HH took over Bernheim was using, in dry form, what Craig Beam calls "Schenley yeast." They didn't like it so they tried what Red Star was offering as distiller's yeast. They didn't like that either, so they had Red Star work up a dry version of the Beam yeast they had been using in jug form at Bardstown. They've been using that since fall of 1999.

As for whatever happened to the yeast that was used at SW, I don't know. Ed Foote might know.

"Beams and Yeast" is the subject of the main story in the new issue of The Bourbon Country Reader, which should go into the mail within the next 24 hours. Subscription information is here.

"box in the garage"
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-15-2011 at 10:10.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Very good, Josh, indeed. Just some minor points/observations.

Looking at Tom Moore, is there any reason to think the VOB mashbill would not apply to all the lesser-known brands (e.g. Colonel Lee, Kentucky Tavern, Kentucky Gentleman except its blend iteration, etc.) except of course 1792 which has higher barley malt as you noted? I am assuming that nothing would have changed in this regard after the purchase by Sazerac Brands.

Also, in reference to Oscar's excellent work to which you referred (and I realize it's not meant to be complete), were each of the 10 bourbons not released serially as single barrel bourbons by a retailer in Kentucky, Party Source was it? This just from memory. I know it was announced that something like this would be done, was the program completed and does anyone have all ten?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-15-2011 at 11:11.

Guru

Damn Josh, I thought as a newish dad you'd be busy with other duties. What an effort. Hope life is good.

Will