Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Tree

Enthusiast

Re: Whiskey Tree

Something on here nagged at me. It's stated in the tree, and at other places on SB, that there's only one Beam rye mashbill, but I knew I'd read or heard somewhere that Beam rye and Old Overholt were different, and I finally found the source: Jim Murray, in his book The Complete Guide to Whiskey (Triumph 1997), states:
    . . . Jim Beam's is 51 percent rye. The big boy is Old Overholt with an impressive 61 percent rye.
    Now, that was at least 15 years ago, but Old Overholt was established as a Beam product at that point, and he must have gotten that information from somewhere.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by chasking View Post
    Something on here nagged at me. It's stated in the tree, and at other places on SB, that there's only one Beam rye mashbill, but I knew I'd read or heard somewhere that Beam rye and Old Overholt were different, and I finally found the source: Jim Murray, in his book The Complete Guide to Whiskey (Triumph 1997), states:
    . . . Jim Beam's is 51 percent rye. The big boy is Old Overholt with an impressive 61 percent rye.
    Now, that was at least 15 years ago, but Old Overholt was established as a Beam product at that point, and he must have gotten that information from somewhere.
    I like Murray's Bible and I keep a copy in my bathroom. That said, in his 2011 version when discussing Pappy 15 he states "classic corn-rye whiskey with a bit of an edge." Page 300. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    I'd be intersted in knowing the % in wheated recipes from HH and BT. How do they compare to Maker's? ...When S/W stopped distilling, and Bernheim began, was the S/W yeast taken to Bernheim? When the Bernheim distillery changed hands to HH, what yeast was used? Does HH use the S/W Bernheim yeast for the wheaters and their own HH yeast for the others? Or, does HH use one yeast for everything? When Bernheim was distilling for HH after the fire, but before the sale, which yeast was being used? DoesBT use one yeast for everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    According to what I've read from various sources, Bill Samuels got the Maker's recipe from Pappy, for what it's worth.
    That's my impression too, that all the wheaters have the same mashbill. The yeast question is an interesting one. Chuck suggested above that Ed Foote might know what happened to the S-W yeast after S-W stopped distilling. I don't really have the time to pursue that question right now, but if anyone else would like to, go for it!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I like Murray's Bible and I keep a copy in my bathroom. That said, in his 2011 version when discussing Pappy 15 he states "classic corn-rye whiskey with a bit of an edge." Page 300. I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    If anyone finds another source that supports the claim that Beam OO is 61% rye I'll change the tree to reflect that. He may have gotten the information from OO's previous producer and forgot to update it. In a book that sweeping, some errors are bound to get in.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Interesting point...but even better...following on the heels of, CrispyCritter, another Chicago area member and his first post in 4 years, now comes chasking after a 3 year hiatus. Great to see you guys back and try to make it to the South Loop Binny's on 3/10/12.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

OK so regarding the Bowman mashbill, I'm a bit confused. Based on this post from Mozilla, I listed it as BT mashbill #2, same as AAA, ETL, et al.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...4&postcount=12

But the more I think about it the less it makes sense. Sazerac owns Bowman. The only rye bourbon mashbill Saz uses for its own products is BT mashbill #1, so it would seem natural that they would send that one to Bowman for redistillation and aging.

Anybody else have any thoughts or information? Especially if your name is Truman...
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I like Murray's Bible and I keep a copy in my bathroom.
    How many pages are left?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    OK so regarding the Bowman mashbill, I'm a bit confused. Based on this post from Mozilla, I listed it as BT mashbill #2, same as AAA, ETL, et al.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...4&postcount=12

But the more I think about it the less it makes sense. Sazerac owns Bowman. The only rye bourbon mashbill Saz uses for its own products is BT mashbill #1, so it would seem natural that they would send that one to Bowman for redistillation and aging.

Anybody else have any thoughts or information? Especially if your name is Truman...
    My name isn't Truman but as applies to the 18 year bottle I found this:

" At 18 years old, this bourbon pre-dates the purchase of Bowman by Buffalo Trace so where this bourbon came from is a bit of a mystery"

I guess the 18 year bottling could be a completely different distillate from the regular Bowman line. Call me crazy but I thought I had read on PS' website something about being mashbill #2.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    How many pages are left?
    Funny. A little mean, but very funny.

Connoisseur

Forgive me if this has been addressed in this thread--I have basically read it as it was posted, but I did not wade through just now to check--but Jim Beam implies that the yeast for Baker's is unique to Baker's. Whether that is true or not, I do not know.

I'm not sure that really changes the mashbill, but under 4Roses, mention is made of their various yeast.