Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Tree

Irreverent One

Re: Whiskey Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Beam, #4 char, Indepnedent Stave
    Beam Mashbill- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's
    Old Grandad Mashbill- OGD, Basil Hayden
    See this post. Third paragraph.

Credible? You decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    LDI, ??? char, Independent Stave?
    Sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, Redemption et al, High West, W.H. Harrison, Cougar (Australia), Bulleit Rye and KBD. For a breakdown of the of corn, rye and bourbon whiskey mashbills used, see the LDI website: http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersind...om/Custom.aspx
    Obsolete link.

Replaced by this one on the MGP (new owners) site.

The percentage of rye is indicated for the Rye Whiskey, but for the three bourbons it would appear that the figure given is for the percentage that is not corn, which suggests that whoever authored the page is not what you'd call bourbon knowledgeable.

Fortunately the listed whiskeys link to pages which give the actual mash bill.

Some interesting looking stuff down under Alcohol - Food Grade Industrial. The SDA-29 sounds tasty...(Homer Simpson voice)...mmmm....acetaldehyde....
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 02-14-2012 at 11:35.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    See this post. Third paragraph.

Credible? You decide.
    It's second hand from a guy who's written a book, produced a movie, and written a lot of a newsletters on the subject and the guy he got it from would have known what he was talking about.

So it's not 100% water-tight, but it's much better than what we currently have, which is squat.

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post

Obsolete link.

Replaced by this one on the MGP (new owners) site.

The percentage of rye is indicated for the Rye Whiskey, but for the three bourbons it would appear that the figure given is for the percentage that is not corn, which suggests that whoever authored the page is not what you'd call bourbon knowledgeable.
    Thanks for the updates! I'll get the tree in line at the earliest opportunity.
    Last edited by Josh; 02-15-2012 at 12:46.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I know from numerous confirmations, from Fred Noe and other Beam insiders, that Beam makes one rye mash bill.

And if you read between the lines on the Baker's label, it really just describes the Beam yeast, it doesn't say only Baker's uses it. Beam has two yeasts but the other one is the Old Grand-Dad yeast, used for Old Grand-Dad and Basil Hayden's.

I've made it a point to check with all of the distillers who make rye on the mash bill question and all have confirmed that they are right at 51%. The exception, of course, is LDI.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I've made it a point to check with all of the distillers who make rye on the mash bill question and all have confirmed that they are right at 51%. The exception, of course, is LDI.
    There's an ancient thread in the archives here with a post by Bushido claiming different rye percentages across various producers (Overholt at 61%, WT at 55%, etc...). That info has been officially debunked then?

p.s. Yes, that's what I do for fun - searching the archives here is almost as entertaining as dusty hunting.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    There's an ancient thread in the archives here with a post by Bushido claiming different rye percentages across various producers (Overholt at 61%, WT at 55%, etc...). That info has been officially debunked then?

p.s. Yes, that's what I do for fun - searching the archives here is almost as entertaining as dusty hunting.
    I would say yes. His source seems to be the same.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

There's a lot of "I heard" out there. Also, I love Jim Murray, he's the hardest working man in whiskey writing, but he does make statements that seem drawn only from his vivid imagination, reviewing at times products that do not exist, for example.

I keep asking distillers the rye mash bill question and keep getting the same answer, which is supported by the explanation. Rye is expensive (twice the cost of corn) and a little goes a long way, so 51% gives you plenty of rye flavor. Most distillers also believe corn is needed to give the beverage a back bone. Obviously, the people who like the 95% to 100% flavoring whiskeys that have been released differ, but I sometimes have that reaction, i.e., I miss the corn.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-16-2012 at 11:09.

Connoisseur

I don't know if "historical" mashbills are being added to the whiskey tree yet, but I can tell you Michter's from Schaefferstown used:

50% corn
    38% rye
    12% barley malt

to make Michter's Pot Still Whiskey. As for the barrels, all I have seen have a pretty heavy char inside them. I'm not sure of the bourbon, rye, and corn mashbills, but I could ask Dick about them next time I see him.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I don't know if "historical" mashbills are being added to the whiskey tree yet, but I can tell you Michter's from Schaefferstown used:

50% corn
    38% rye
    12% barley malt

to make Michter's Pot Still Whiskey. As for the barrels, all I have seen have a pretty heavy char inside them. I'm not sure of the bourbon, rye, and corn mashbills, but I could ask Dick about them next time I see him.
    What's your source? Dick Stoll?

Connoisseur

Yes. Dick had told me that on a few different occasions. He also told me that Michter's was generally aged in re-used barrels as well.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Yes. Dick had told me that on a few different occasions. He also told me that Michter's was generally aged in re-used barrels as well.
    Yes, I just learned that from Sam, although I got the impression from him that they used a combination of new and used barrels. Having tasted it, that seems credible. It tasted too rich to be all-used, although I was probably tasting whiskey that was older than normal too, bottled as it was toward the end of their run.