Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Tree

Disciple

Re: Whiskey Tree

I just went to the FC site.

It states, "Most Bourbon is made from a grain mixture of corn, barley and wheat. We use Rye instead of wheat to give Fighting Cock a little extra kick."

"Most Bourbon..." Shame on you, Heaven Hill. You know that this is a blatant lie. Would any of the HH employees who visit and post on SB care to comment on this?

Connoisseur

Weird. I wonder why they made that claim, which is obviously incorrect.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    C'mon Ethan. When has the Kentucky Bourbon industry actually tried to educate the consumer??

Connoisseur

Ha. Too true. I think it's sort of fun to speculate at certain things. Others, not so much.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Not so much a "blatant lie" as blatantly stupid. Really starting to wonder about the bile, White Dog. If you get so angry about this, how much outrage can you have left for real crimes?

And they call me crotchety.
    Last edited by cowdery; 12-19-2011 at 00:11.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Speaking of ruffled feathers----

Fighting Cock is a product of Heaven Hill and is advertised to have more rye for that extra kick- even says so on the FC website. So is FC its own mashbill or, like Buffalo Trace, does Heaven Hill have a "low rye content" and "high rye content" bourbon mashbill????
    But that isn't what it says at all. It says nothing about 'more rye." Where do they say, or imply, that Fighting Cock has more rye than Evan Williams or Elijah Craig?

Connoisseur

I thought at one time the website had it worded that they use more rye for extra kick. Maybe I was mistaken.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I just went to the FC site.

It states, "Most Bourbon is made from a grain mixture of corn, barley and wheat. We use Rye instead of wheat to give Fighting Cock a little extra kick."

"Most Bourbon..." Shame on you, Heaven Hill. You know that this is a blatant lie. Would any of the HH employees who visit and post on SB care to comment on this?
    Product differentiation. Marketing 101, whether it's truthful or not.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

I'd be intersted in knowing the % in wheated recipes from HH and BT. How do they compare to Maker's? I would assume through the Old Fitz and Weller recipes going back to S/W and then onto Bernheim before splitting HH & BT that the mashbills are the same. The whiskies however, are not. This would be a good comparison of barrels and aging. The wild card variable would be the yeast. This has been mentioned on here before, but with no real definitive answer. When S/W stopped distilling, and Bernheim began, was the S/W yeast taken to Bernheim? When the Bernheim distillery changed hands to HH, what yeast was used? Does HH use the S/W Bernheim yeast for the wheaters and their own HH yeast for the others? Or, does HH use one yeast for everything? When Bernheim was distilling for HH after the fire, but before the sale, which yeast was being used? DoesBT use one yeast for everything?

The Maker's mashbill has to be similar, showing what age can do. There is a lot of difference between 5? yr old Maker's and 7 yr old WSR.

I've read some of the Four Roses comments on rye vs wheat.Regardless of their philosophy, I would love to see what their 5 yeast strains could do for a wheated mashbill. It would seem to me that with all the talk of new wheaters vs old SW, and the griping about nothing being as good, that Four Roses versatility would lend them to being able to recreate almost any flavor profile.

Virtuoso

According to what I've read from various sources, Bill Samuels got the Maker's recipe from Pappy, for what it's worth.