Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hello from the riverbend

Greetings SBers!

My name is Derek (you can call me Duff, everyone does) and I'm relatively new to the whisky world. I hail from the Quad Cities. East Moline Illinois specifically.

For me, it all started when a coworker would offer me different whisk(e)ys that were on his shelf. The first was MM, which was fine. Actually, I took the MM distillery tour that year and hand dipped a couple of bottles, one of which I still have. Then Macallan 12 scotch, which was good. Basil Haydens about a year ago. At this point I'm thinking "wow, this stuff ain't bad!" Then, last summer, BT. Magical! About this same time the wife and I were watching heavy doses of the AMC series Mad Men. The lead character, Don Draper, is often seen ordering a drink called "Old-Fashioned". I'm sure you're all familiar. I thought to myself: I need to try this drink. Got myself a bottle of BT, a bottle of bitters, and went to town.

Its a good drink. I would recommend it to someone who is used to things like rum and coke, but I quickly realized adding things to bourbon is completely unneccessary. Right now I just take it with ice, unless its Weller 12 which I drink neat. Soon, I'm sure, everything will be neat. Glencairn and all.

So far the bourbons I've tried are the ones above plus FRSB, EWSB, Bulleit, 1792 and WT 80. Not real impressed with that last one. I've been trying to work with the new Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits to get in stock the bottles that this board recommends like ORVW 107, PVW 15, Lot B, any BTAC, PHC ... but its all been pretty fruitless. They were able to allocate some of the FRSB which I was greatful for, very good stuff.

I've already subscribed to MA and BR. (got the latest MA, still waiting for BR) The coworker I mentioned earlier and I are going to Whiskeyfest Chicago this year (VIP of course ) which I am very much looking forward to. I'm also excited to stop by Binny's South Loop and Manny's Deli. I'm also looking forward to meeting some of you guys there.

I probably won't post a whole lot, maybe in "what are you drinking" and "what did you buy" ... I'll mostly lurk around

Cheers!

Re: Hello from the riverbend

Hi Duff welcome to the site, I grew up not that far away from where you are. I grew up a few miles away from the Burlington IA area and then moved to Ft Madison IA where I lived for 18 1/2 years before moving to SW Iowa. I hope you enjoy the site don't be afraid to ask questions or post your opinions. Come join join us in chat (the gazebo at the top of the main forum page) it's a good time. Make you self at home have fun and make some new friends. Oh and by the way the problem you had with the Wild Turkey is you got the 80 proof get the 101 or the Rare Breed world of difference. I don't know why they make the 80 proof.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-13-2010 at 09:15.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Lightbulb Re: Hello from the riverbend

Don't pass up the Wild Turkey 101 just because you didn't care for the 80. The 101 is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Welcome to SB Duff. I'm from Illinois too. Rockford to be exact. You started off with some decent bourbons. Keep working on your local store. You never know. Binny's and Manny's are a must if you're headed to Chicago. If you ever plan on being in the Rockford area, let me know. Maybe we can meet up for a drink. At the very least, I can tell you what stores to avoid. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Taster

I've reached for the 101 numerous times because of the love for it around here. I just got skeered. That 80 was just awful!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Welcome to SB Duff. I'm from Illinois too. Rockford to be exact. You started off with some decent bourbons. Keep working on your local store. You never know. Binny's and Manny's are a must if you're headed to Chicago. If you ever plan on being in the Rockford area, let me know. Maybe we can meet up for a drink. At the very least, I can tell you what stores to avoid. Cheers! Joe
    'preciate the invite!

My sister-in-law went to Rockford college, so I'm pretty familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by the Duff View Post
    I've reached for the 101 numerous times because of the love for it around here. I just got skeered. That 80 was just awful!
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Don't pass up the Wild Turkey 101 just because you didn't care for the 80. The 101 is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Tim
    I agree with Tim. I was the same way till another member, p_elliott, finally convinced me to get a bottle. It's all good! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Duff,

Nice to see another from the Quad Cities on the board. I'm a newer member myself that does a lot more reading than commenting. I haven't had much luck around the QC finding good deals on bourbon. I've stuck with online buying or just picking up bottles during my travels.

I've had a great time researching and learning about everything. Everyone on here has been extremely nice and informal.

Enjoy.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by lrochau View Post
    Duff,

Nice to see another from the Quad Cities on the board. I'm a newer member myself that does a lot more reading than commenting. I haven't had much luck around the QC finding good deals on bourbon. I've stuck with online buying or just picking up bottles during my travels.

I've had a great time researching and learning about everything. Everyone on here has been extremely nice and informal.

Enjoy.
    Have you tried the Iowa side yet? I've been meaning to do that, but I don't think it will be any better. Peoria's fairly close. I wonder if that would be worth the trip.

Advanced Taster

I live in Davenport so I've seen most of the Iowa side. State controlled so you aren't going to find much except for your basics. Most people people think if they find a bottle of Templeton Rye, they have found gold and they say Pappy Van who? Weller and Winkle are no where to be found on this side.