Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Bourbon Hunting in Green Bay WI

Hi folks! I spend a couple weeks in Green Bay, a couple times a year, and like to keep a bottle or two squirrelled away at my in-laws' house. I also like to try bottles I don't have access to in WA. I've found a few things, but I'd really love to find ORVW, VOB, some special version of Old Forester, etc. I tried the Wine Cellar in DePere, and they offered to special order anything they can access, but I thought I'd ask about it in case anybody here has extensive knowledge of this area. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by derevaun; 12-31-2010 at 13:14.

Guru

Re: Bourbon Hunting in Green Bay WI

Not familiar with the area other than having some friends there. A suggestion would be Fleishman's rye which seems to have a limited distribution, primarily Wisconsin. It's a three year old mixer but not too costly if your tastes run that way.

Barton is available in the Southern States, Van Winkle is limited distribution even where it can be found, Forester may be your only option.

How were things up in "Title Town" Go Packers Welcome to the site I hope you enjoy it. Have fun come join us in chat some night. Post often ask questions and give us us your opinions.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

VOB is, sadly, not sold in Wisconsin. If you're looking for anything Van Winkle up there, I'd call Club Liquor in Menasha. Bit of a drive, but there's no store in GB with the clout to get Winkle, I don't believe. Club Liquor will blow your mind. Worth the trip.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Not familiar with the area other than having some friends there. A suggestion would be Fleishman's rye which seems to have a limited distribution, primarily Wisconsin. It's a three year old mixer but not too costly if your tastes run that way.

Barton is available in the Southern States, Van Winkle is limited distribution even where it can be found, Forester may be your only option.
    Fleischmann's Straight Rye is an NAS, not a 3yr.

Guru

Wouldn't know, never read the label, just heard about the brand. I would buy it even if it is a 36 month old.

Novice

Hey, thanks for the info! I've eyed the Fleischmann's at the grocery stores, never knew what it's deal was until reading about it here while searching for Wisconsin / Green Bay terms. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle on my next trip here for cocktails.

Menasha's in striking range; I'll get over there sometime on this trip or next. We sometimes leave the kids with my in-laws and drive off to various & random B&Bs in the region, so that's a perfect opportunity to visit well-reputed liquor stores.

Guru

May have had Fleischmann confused with Stephen Foster. Faulty memory occurs past middle age, or at least I think that's what they said.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by derevaun View Post
    Hey, thanks for the info! I've eyed the Fleischmann's at the grocery stores, never knew what it's deal was until reading about it here while searching for Wisconsin / Green Bay terms. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle on my next trip here for cocktails.

Menasha's in striking range; I'll get over there sometime on this trip or next. We sometimes leave the kids with my in-laws and drive off to various & random B&Bs in the region, so that's a perfect opportunity to visit well-reputed liquor stores.
    Try it neat, as it's shockingly solid Rye at about $16 a handle. Made at Tom Moore and only in Wisconsin. Future very uncertain with new Sazerac ownership. (Must say I was drinking Handy while watching the Bears go down tonight.)