Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

What Rum Do You Drink Neat?

I have had a few specialty rums, but, I really know very little about rum. I came across Appleton Estate 12 yo here in NC and have stuck with it.

With warm weather ahead, what rum do you like?

Guru

Re: What Rum Do You Drink Neat?

For drinking straight, I have a strong affection for Mt. Gay Eclipse Sugar Cane Brandy. I think it is from Barbados. I haven't had any for several years (about 10).

Tim

Taster

You might want to try Flor de Cana "Centenaro" 12 yr old I was in Honduras two weeks ago and this was a very
    popular rum. $12 in Honduras, $25 - $30 in the states.

Advanced Taster

I'm not a big rum fan, but recently I received a sample of Zaya rum and was quite taken with it. It didn't have the burnt rubber notes that I get from many aged rums. Very smooth, complex and dangerously drinkable

SpeedyJohn

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

CL,
    I was trapped by marketing hype and bought a "new" rum. Its called Cayopa. I read about it in Barbados, but couldn't acquire in the duty free stores. I bought it when I got back home. The bottle has music chip in the base that plays Caribbean music. This rum is dark, strong, mellow, and extremely smooth, but not worth $40. I've had it neat and on the rocks. I probably won't buy again, but had to try it once.

Enthusiast

For sipping neat I prefer Bacardi 8 Anos, a smooth blend of rums at least 8 years old. Like most rum, it's aged in used oak barrels (old bourbon oak barrels never die, they just move south and help to mellow out the rum). Dark golden color, a light molasses/vanilla nose. Very smooth & sweet, 80 proof. Fine served in a snifter, but make mine on the rocks, twist of lemon with a coke or ginger beer, back. I also like Ron Bacardi Anejo, Solera and Select bottlings, all tasty & reasonably priced. I usually have all of these on the rum shelf.

Appleton Estate premium, VX and Extra are nice. Usually a good buy, I keep one or 2 bottles around here. I haven't tried their 21 year old, tho'. Saveur did a nice little write up on them.

For sipping neat I like dark rums or black rums like the Bacardi Select, above. These black rums have a deep, rich taste, with ice and lemon/lime they're a good sip. My old stand-by was Myers but my recent preference is Gosling's Black Seal.

Haitian Rhum Barbancourt is another dark favorite, the older (5 star = 8 years) is better & worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

I'll watch for the Flor de Cana recommended, I've heard good reports on it. I'm also watching for Prichards rum, made in Tennessee. They use Louisiana 'first grade A fancy' molasses, and new oak 15 gallon barrels (charred). I think most of us would agree there's something to be said for aging spirits in new charred white oak.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interested in your expression, "ginger ale or coke, back". I haven't heard the expression "back" used that way. I have heard Americans in Canada order a "waterback", or "side of water". Canadians do not use these terms although our bartenders understand them. Does, "coke, back" mean a drink of coke taken separate from the liquor, not in it? Why "back", does that mean, to chase, so to follow a swallow of straight liquor?

Cy

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info, Carl. I will have to keep an eye out for some of the suggestions.

Using your URLs, I went to the Appleton's site and saw that what we get in NC is the Special and the Estate VX. I buy the VX, but have never had the Special. And it was the 21 yo that I've had at Bahama Breeze in Raleigh. (They have a Bahama Breeze in Louisville, near St. Mathews, I believe.)

I also have a bottle of Goslings and drink it when I want a heavier rum.

<edit>
    I just checked the WV spirits catalog. It includes the AE Extra and AE 21 yo.
    <end>

Disciple

Nothing fancy, mostly I drink Gosling's Black Seal when having rum.

TomC

Enthusiast

If I understand your question...yes, ordering "rum with a coke, back" is asking for "rum with a coke chaser". Coke served in a separate glass, and sipped after you sip the rum.