Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Hirsch 21 year old Rye...

Is the source of the Hirsch 21 year old rye known? It was distilled in 1983, per the bottle label, but I can't find anything else on it. Is it worth the high price. There's a bottle on EBay right now that I'm looking at. Item #110624186370

Last edited by ethangsmith; 12-18-2010 at 12:13.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Re: Hirsch 21 year old Rye...

Could this be from Michter's or Continental or Stitzel-Weller or am I just dreaming?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Could this be from Michter's or Continental or Stitzel-Weller or am I just dreaming?
    It isn't from SW if it is a Rye, as has been said it is very unlikely they ever distilled Rye there.

If it is 21 year it is likely from the same provenance as the other old ryes; such as Vintage, BMH and the private Willett bottlings.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

The bottling has an odd special appeal to me since I was born in 1983. Is it good stuff and worth the price?

Connoisseur

Don't know about the Hirsch but I just opened a Vintage 21 yr rye and think it's outstanding. Of course, I only paid 40 bucks for it so it may taste a lot sweeter than at a higher price. I seem to remember that Hirsch is pretty spendy.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Connoisseur

Also saw a bottle of Vintage 21 rye on EBay. I've never heard of Vintage before. Were they affiliated with another company or were they a distiller or bottler?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    The bottling has an odd special appeal to me since I was born in 1983. Is it good stuff and worth the price?
    I'm always on the lookout for "birthday bottles", (either for myself
    or gifts for friends,) so that aspect would appeal to me over other
    factors (such as price). That said, I'm more a wheat fan than rye
    so I'd probably pass at that price even with the birthday connection.

There are a couple threads on Vintage Rye here, here, and here.
    The Vintage Bourbon is shown on the KBD website so perhaps the
    Rye is from them as well?

Quick google shopping search returned stores selling Vintage Rye
    between $90. and $125. if that helps.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Disciple

Sources have told me that it'd old Medley. The Hirsch 21 was bottled in, you guessed it, Bardstown. KBD. The same bottlers of Vintage 21 and 23, which were Medley as well. Black Maple Hill 23 came from this, as well.

Connoisseur

Good information on those threads. I had a chance to buy a bottle of the Hirsch 21 rye for $129 but I think I lost that. There's a real nice liquor store in Baltimore that I go to every few months and they had a bottle and for some dumb reason I didn't buy it. Next time I'm there, I'll have to ask if they have another one.

Guru

Ethan it's worth what you are willing to pay if it's something you want. My one and only Hirsch 21 cost about half of what you are taking about paying but that was years ago and I decided not to replace it. I used to enjoy the Michters Original Sourmash and bought the Hirsch 21 paying the price of curiosity. I had the chance drink the Original regularly as the whisky was available locally for me up until 1978 or so.