Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WT 8 year old

Connoisseur

WT 8 year old

I hunted around and couldn't find much on WT 8 year on the site - has any info on this been posted before? I picked some up at duty free in Port Huron, MI this week on the way over to Ontario. It's quite good, but how does it differ from the regular release 101 and why is it only available duty free?
    Craig

Trippah and Admin

Re: WT 8 year old

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I hunted around and couldn't find much on WT 8 year on the site - has any info on this been posted before? I picked some up at duty free in Port Huron, MI this week on the way over to Ontario. It's quite good, but how does it differ from the regular release 101 and why is it only available duty free?
    Craig

The "travel retail" sector is much smaller than the US market so they can float age stated bottles outside of the US without depleting stocks.

At last years sampler I asked Jimmy Russell why we can't get WT12 in the states. He said that we would have to choose between WT12 and Rare Breed as there's not enough aged stock on hand for both.

Hopefully the investment that Campari is making in their business will allow both in another 10 years.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Craig
    Itís still sold here in Europe and maybe in Japan as well. I donít know for sure why they did drop the age statement in USA several years ago, but my guess would be lack of well age stock.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Advanced Taster

It is very good, probably one of the best deals out there for bourbon. $21 a liter. I have not done a side by side with the 8 year of old yet, but I will have to now.
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

It's too bad they don't do more aging. Their premiums with age statements are excellent products, IMO. Though the packaging is excessive, I love the somewhat recent 14yo.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    The "travel retail" sector is much smaller than the US market so they can float age stated bottles outside of the US without depleting stocks.

At last years sampler I asked Jimmy Russell why we can't get WT12 in the states. He said that we would have to choose between WT12 and Rare Breed as there's not enough aged stock on hand for both.

Hopefully the investment that Campari is making in their business will allow both in another 10 years.
    I can't make that choice. I want both.

I get the point, I just don't like it.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    ...At last years sampler I asked Jimmy Russell why we can't get WT12 in the states. He said that we would have to choose between WT12 and Rare Breed as there's not enough aged stock on hand for both...
    Frankly, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. While I've had occasional exemplary batches of Rare Breed -- and some about which I've wished I'd spent the money otherwise -- I've never experienced a WT 12yo that wasn't superior to the best RB I've ever had. If I buy Rare Breed today, it's because I like the nice box and glasses that come with it for the holidays.

Guru

About 4 years ago a buddy of mine brought me back a 1 litre WT8yo from Denmark and it was outstanding, it had a sweetness to it that I never get from any Turkeys.
    ovh

Virtuoso

WT 8 year old is sold in Japan, as is WT 12. I'm sipping a WT 12 as I type. ... and it's excellent!
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Connoisseur

The 12 may be my all time favorite. But I'm down to a half bottle of the split label and a full bottle of the cheap gold label.
    Craig