Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

plastic 1.75 bottle question

I was able to buy 2 cases of Charter 101 for 9.99 a bottle. I read a lot about plastic bottles tainting the bourbon. I will probably drink it in the next two years or so. My question is whether it will affect the taste over the next two years to stay in plastic or should I start putting it in empty glass handles?

Guru

Re: plastic 1.75 bottle question

I can't answer your question but I am suprised that spirits are in plastic.
    The beer producers would love to go to plastic because it's cheaper and lighter and therefore reduces shipping cost.
    But beer consumers say no.
    They say that the new plastic bottles for beer don't breathe as much as the original ones so the beer is safer but then again beer is consumed faster and not stored for long periods of time like wine and spirits.
    Beer in plastic is only available where the event is controlled like ball games and music concerts and shows and the consumer has no choice.
    But if I were to buy spirits in plastic I would consume it fast and wouldn't store it, I have no proof if it would go bad, it's just a hunch.
    ovh

Guru

People talk a lot about plastic taint in bourbon, but I've purchased plastic handles from time to time and I've never noticed any taint. Taint from moldy corks or improper storage I've tasted plenty. Never plastic. Hell, it might actually improve the taste of the Charter 101.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

I'm bound to be attacked for this, so please refrain, but I stay away from plastic bottles due to BPA.

I want everything in glass.

Guru

My question is: why would you want to buy two cases of OC 101?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I'm bound to be attacked for this, so please refrain, but I stay away from plastic bottles due to BPA.

I want everything in glass.
    Most, if not all, plastic containers for liquor products are PET. Why do you think they might contain BPA?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Most, if not all, plastic containers for liquor products are PET. Why do you think they might contain BPA?
    Because I don't trust most companies. How many times do large companies get caught in deceit? Often. Glass I can trust, mostly. Again, I'm not that smart, and I'm probably wrong, but I'm sticking with glass.

Trippah and Admin

"I'm not going into my backyard without a shotgun."

"Why?"

"Gators."

"What? You live in Northern Ohio, there's 6" of snow on the ground and it is 20 degrees out."

"You can't be too careful these days."
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Because I don't trust most companies. How many times do large companies get caught in deceit? Often. Glass I can trust, mostly. Again, I'm not that smart, and I'm probably wrong, but I'm sticking with glass.
    OK, that's cool. I thought you might have some sort of fact-based reasoning to believe that PET bottles might have BPA in them. BTW, I have seen absolutely no evidence that PET containers contain BPA.

BTW, I prefer glass over PET containers for my booze, too. But, not because of any chance of BPA contamination. It just feels better. Corks for me, too!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

I'm in favor of plastic containers for whisky that will be consumed in the foreseeable future. My SO at the time dropped a glass 750 on the Mexican tile floor and the thing exploded. We had to ban the puppys from the kitchen for a couple of days while we fished out every glass shard.