Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Question Why don't I like Bulleit?

I hope this post leads to a good discussion and helps me learn something. I'm sort of new to Bourbon drinkin' and brand new to this forum.

I recently bought pints of Woodford Reserve and Bulleit. I liked the Woodford but was pretty uninspired by the Bulleit. Here are my amateur tasting recollections of both:

Woodford: Cinnamon, apple cider, raisins, pralines, orange zest, dark chocolate and the usual vanilla, brown sugar, maple syrup etc. Not too harsh, not too smooth. Can't wait to try more.

Bulleit: Turpentine, a hint of rye. Won't be doing this again soon. (And a little disappointed 'cause the bottle is so cool!)

I'm not alone in my dislike for Bulleit. But why is this? And what does it say about me/us who don't like it? Care to shed some light?

Also, given my clear preference for Woodford, what else would I like?
    Last edited by Robmo; 02-27-2011 at 13:02.

Guru

Re: Why don't I like Bulleit?

Past threads on the taste of Bulleit generally divide into the like group and the dislike group. It's a one of a kind that I happen to like but routinely leave on the store shelf.

I believe that the origin of the Bulleit whiskey has changed during the label's lifetime. When originally released, it contained Four Roses distillate -- and, I assume, not the best they had, because they used that for other things.
    I didn't like it then, either. Way too rye-y! And, frankly, I haven't tried it since.
    But, I believe it is no longer contains Four Roses bourbon -- at least, not entirely.
    I have no way of knowing (and, probably, you don't either) which distillate you've tasted. But, it's probably different today than 'once upon a time'.
    Tim

Taster

I've found it to be inconsistent and not particularly interesting at any point.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I believe that the origin of the Bulleit whiskey has changed during the label's lifetime. When originally released, it contained Four Roses distillate -- and, I assume, not the best they had, because they used that for other things.
    I didn't like it then, either. Way too rye-y! And, frankly, I haven't tried it since.
    But, I believe it is no longer contains Four Roses bourbon -- at least, not entirely.
    I have no way of knowing (and, probably, you don't either) which distillate you've tasted. But, it's probably different today than 'once upon a time'.
    In all likelihood it still contains 4R distillate, although maybe not exclusively. The best info suggests that Diageo is mostly buying unaged whiskey from 4R, although when we were at Cox's Creek last spring, our tour guide told us that the contents of the barrel we were sampling were headed for Diageo. That doesn't mean it was going to become Bulleit, but given the history it seems reasonable.

I think Bulleit is OK, but it's underaged and a little rough aroud the edges.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    In all likelihood it still contains 4R distillate, although maybe not exclusively. The best info suggests that Diageo is mostly buying unaged whiskey from 4R, although when we were at Cox's Creek last spring, our tour guide told us that the contents of the barrel we were sampling were headed for Diageo. That doesn't mean it was going to become Bulleit, but given the history it seems reasonable.

I think Bulleit is OK, but it's underaged and a little rough aroud the edges.
    Josh's flavor description hits it on the head, IMHO. (Every year Diageo releases hundreds of uninspired offerings, especially on the wine side.) And while I do love high-rye recipes, especially OGD114 and various FR releases, Bulleit never tastes "complete" to me.

Virtuoso

In on this crew. Never had a Bulleit I liked

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Josh's flavor description hits it on the head, IMHO. (Every year Diageo releases hundreds of uninspired offerings, especially on the wine side.) And while I do love high-rye recipes, especially OGD114 and various FR releases, Bulleit never tastes "complete" to me.
    I finally tried OGD114 and I am not sure what to think. It's hot and spicy, which I typically like, but it's also sharp and burn-y in a way I'm not sure yet if I appreciate. Obviously this will take a bit more "research" but at this point I'm reluctant to pour another glass

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I'm with Josh and White Dog. I enjoy high rye bourbons as well but find Bulleit a tad harsh and its body thin. I wouldn't say that I flat out dislike it, but I won't be seeking out another bottle any time soon.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

In the vein of trying to be "fair & balanced" I have stated elsewhere that I enjoy Bulleit. I like the high rye, spicey flavor and not found it to be too harsh. I understand it to be aged about 6-7-8 years.
    Of course, I'm an old guy so my taste buds are shot.