Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

A.H. Hirsch 16yr?

How many have had it?

If you actually saw one on the shelf would you actually buy it? Well found one in glass locked case at a store here on vacation for $299. Worth it?

Still can't believe I saw it in a store, thought I was crazy. Maybe cause I saw the hype and the ending of the production.
    Last edited by autiger23; 12-18-2010 at 22:59.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: A.H. Hirsch 16yr?

We go around about this all the time. Like the old joke, "if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."

Personally, I stopped buying these at about $90, but it's really a question of how much money you have and what $300 means to you. If you can easily drop $300 on a whim then buy it. You've probably spent $300 worse ways. If you can't spend $300 that casually then, hey, it's just a bottle of whiskey. No big deal.

Does spending $300 on a bottle of whiskey make you more or less likely to take it home, open it, and drink it? If after spending $300 you feel you have to wait for a special occasion, then you probably should leave it alone. The right way to think about it is that spending $300 on a bottle of whiskey is a special occasion.
    Last edited by cowdery; 12-18-2010 at 23:37.

Enthusiast

This will be the most expensive to date for me. Have spent about a grand in the last couple months on stagg, handy, pappys so it's not killing me. I was just basically seeing the rarity these days on seeing one in store actually on the shelf? They just bottled the last batch from stainless, correct? I just don't want to let it go past me if it's worth jumping on.

Connoisseur

If you really want one, you could always check ebay.
    One recently went unsold with start price of $200.
    plus $22.50 shipping.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

When bourbons that are NOT supermarket stock travel to Denmark, they usually double or triple in price. As bourbons for isn't easy to sell here, things often get stuck on shelfs here. Original price was around 160-200$ for AH Hirsch here, and put few places put it on offer for around 130$, I think they missed the fact it had become rare and expensive in other places

Well for 130$ and prices that are usually double the US prices I bought 12 of 13 bottles from a local shop, just left one bottle for good whisky karma

Future drinking stock should be secured :-)

(Staggs are around 300-400$ here)

I think it's a very good and slightly different bourbon

Steffen

Taster

I found quite a few of them and snatched them up. I personally think it is a nice bourbon, but as Chuck said the price is an individual's choice on what it is worth to him given their financial situation.

If anyone fancies a swap I might be open to something. I would love a Saz 18 from 04 or 05

Disciple

Many on this site would say that the whiskey inside the gold foil bottle was in tank too long, and is not worth the price, but if the historical significance matters to you, then it's worth it.

Personally, I really like what's in the bottle, and while that alone may not be worth the price, I think that owning something from such an important silent distillery is.

People pay out the nose for things like Port Ellen, but Bourbon drinkers are much more frugal than Scotch drinkers.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Many on this site would say that the whiskey inside the gold foil bottle was in tank too long, and is not worth the price, but if the historical significance matters to you, then it's worth it.

Personally, I really like what's in the bottle, and while that alone may not be worth the price, I think that owning something from such an important silent distillery is.

People pay out the nose for things like Port Ellen, but Bourbon drinkers are much more frugal than Scotch drinkers.
    Hey I resemble that remark!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guru

I've had some of the gold foil and it was a fine bourbon, but I wouldn't pay $300 for it. I've never had the blue or gold wax (I would be willing to accept samples for research purposes) but the consensus around here is that those are the best expressions and that, as White Dog said, the gold foil was tanked too long.
    Last edited by Josh; 12-19-2010 at 10:55.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Bought my A.H. Hirsch 16 bottles for $39 from Binny's. Of course that was 5-6 years ago, but still same stuff you are tempted to buy at $299.