Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

Well, nothing right now being only 11:30 in the morning, however last night I had a pour of some kind of Scotch, which reminded of why I like bourbon so much. I promptly had a couple pours of George Dickel No. 12. My staff gave me a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel as a Christmas gift which I've been enjoying as well. Still in my regular rotation is Weller's Antique, Weller's SR, Jim Beam Black and Old Rip Van Winkle (107). Occasionally I have a pour of WL Weller Barrel Proof when I want a treat.

Guru

I had a really beautiful pour of Russell's Reserve 10/101 last night. What an excellent whiskey! I sure wish the current RR 90 proof was half as good.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

does rye count?

I think I have officially quit drinking bourbon, for the most part....I am now pretty much a 95% of the time rye guy...so now that it's available, I have been working through my first of 12 Rittenhouse bottles....though I did have some WLW 2010 yesterday.....

My main pours in December, so far - Old Potrero Single Malt Rye, Rittenhouse BiB, Saz 18.....oh my GOD, do I love Saz 18.

I would marry Saz 18 if it were legal.

Advanced Taster

Re: does rye count?

I moved at the beginning of this month. Broke one full decanter and knocked the top off another in the process. With another move coming up in about a year, I decided it was time to rid myself of these fragile and oddly-shaped containers.

Rounded up some empties and transferred 2 WT 8yr ("Flags" and "Strutting"), 2 Jim Beam 86 proof (110 months and 110 months) and a ER 101 (#1).

The juice from the Strutting decanter is marvelously dark and the little that I tasted off my fingers as I poured it was amazing! So sweet, fruity and rich. This will be one that I pour sparingly. The Flags decanter is several shades lighter and tastes a little more along the lines of current WT amped up a couple notches. Still very good, but probably not an all-timer.

The ER101 is also a winner with a very limited sampling. This is the first ER101 I've tasted so I don't have any comparative benchmark.

The JB 100 is decent, probably much better than the current but nothing to go nuts over. The cork on the JB 110 was a queasy-looking greenish-gray but the booze is clear and the smell is within range of what I'd expect. I am going to let this one sit a while before I take some very small sips.

I've got a couple more to go, including S/W Cabin Still and Old Fitz. Just waiting on some empties and to locate them in the mess of boxes.

Guru

Eying a bottle of Dant BIB waiting for 5:00.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

A dallop from the candy cane infused Bulliet that I made last night. Very, very, nice.
    Coupla things on this: 1) Although, it's OK either way, I prefer it with an ice cube. 2) If you make this, drink it somewhat quickly, as it really starts to look funky after a few weeks. 3) Don't overdo the candy canes. D) I think that heavy rye bourbons work better.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Pappy 15, and more Pappy 15.

Novice

I alternate between Weller 107 and Weller 12 yr. I guess I'm pretty much a "Wheater".

Guru

Dant BIB, one of these days I need to do a serious tasting to compare this to HH BIB.

Disciple

Pappy Shiraz followed by a pour of Weller 12...
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!