Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

A flight of BT single barrels at Julio's:

• Old Weller Antique
    • Buffalo Trace(!)
    • Elmer T. Lee
    • Rock Hill Farms (cherry monster part II!)
    • Baby Saz
    • Willett 6yo 122pf

Topped off with a healthy pour from my bottle of the Loch & K(e)y OWA when I got home.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Taster

PHC '09. I expected a lot out of this bottle and it delivered abundantly. Just ... wow!

This was the only bottle on my wish list that my store could find for me. Imagine that, the most expensive one.

Hopefully I can keep this bottle for a while. It deserves savoring.

Advanced Taster

Managed to find another decanter stash an an empty, This time Old Fitz Prime, 1971. 86.8 proof, 8 year. This one here:

Here's tasting notes based on one pour.

Color: Medium amber.

Nose: Massive brown sugar, caramel corn, maple syrup, vanilla notes. Minimal if any alcohol. Smells so good that I almost don't want to taste it...almost.

Taste: Not quite as good as the nose, but that's quibbling. Thick and sweet, with maple/brown sugar intertwining with an earthy nuttiness. Sweetness wins the day and the finish shows real staying power. Alcohol balance about right, maybe a touch hot for a sub-90 proofer but just maybe.

Conclusion: If this was on the shelves today, I'd be hard pressed to ever buy anything else. As a staunch supporter of bigger proof bottlings, the amount of flavor and aroma coming out of this at 86.8 is amazing! Get one if you can!

Guru

Love that photo! Wish I could find something like that. Enjoy!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Went back to the OCPR last night and am struggling to preserve a little in the bottle. I love it and it's getting dangerously low!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon-n00b View Post
    Managed to find another decanter stash an an empty, This time Old Fitz Prime, 1971. 86.8 proof, 8 year.
    I pulled an 1975 ORVW 7/86 decanter from a store a year or so ago. Great juice. Another bottle that gets pushed to the back waiting to be found again and again. Has that nice SW thing going on that I can't get enough of.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Went back to the OCPR last night and am struggling to preserve a little in the bottle. I love it and it's getting dangerously low!
    Funny you mention it....I was eyeballing one of my bunkered slopes to enjoy over Christmas. Haven't had one open in quite a while.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Funny you mention it....I was eyeballing one of my bunkered slopes to enjoy over Christmas. Haven't had one open in quite a while.
    It really is terrifc but I rue the day that I busted it out for a friend, who proceeded to drink nearly half the bottle, then poured himself a Maker's Mark 46 while I was in the bathroom and announced upon my return, "Now this is more like it!" I've got nothing against MM at all but if he didn't really enjoy it that much, I wish he had said so earlier and made the switch before gulping down some of my finest whiskey!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    It really is terrifc but I rue the day that I busted it out for a friend, who proceeded to drink nearly half the bottle, then poured himself a Maker's Mark 46 while I was in the bathroom and announced upon my return, "Now this is more like it!" I've got nothing against MM at all but if he didn't really enjoy it that much, I wish he had said so earlier and made the switch before gulping down some of my finest whiskey!
    I've had this happen too many times. I'm much more conservative in my "whiskey screening" these days. Pearls before swine never ends well.

Guru

4R1B LE Rutledge 40th, neat,... oh yeah, and a couple pours of Bulleit before that.
    ovh