Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Beam releases a new Old Crow?

I was thinking of naming this thread "Crow flies again," but I would have to try some before I could be that optimistic.

I was talking to one of my favorite bourbon purveyors (who will remain nameless until I know it's ok to identify the source of this gossip) and he was telling me about a new release from Beam: an Old Crow Reserve at 86 proof. How long has it been since we've seen an 86 proof Crow? Of course, it may be that no one cares any longer...

Be that as it may, it's being called "Old Crow Reserve," suggesting more time in oak, but that remains to be seen. Pricing is unknown at this point too, but the speculation was it will be aimed at something a bit above rail prices.

Anyone have any more info on this? And a second question: what juice is OC made from these days? Is it standard Beam juice or do they still use the old recipe? I always assumed it was the former.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Re: Beam releases a new Old Crow?

It looks like the Beam reorganization is already paying off! I have had the pleasure of having ND Old Crow (from when it was good) and the displeasure of having the current article. The current Old Crow is embarassingly underaged whiskey that is definately from the standard Beam yeast & mashbill.

I hope they do improve the Crow. But I hope they make it more than just another mid-shelf Beam like JBB, KC & JBDS (all of which I like btw).
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Yeah, the old expression was outstanding. We were fortunate to find bunch of the chess set series of Old Crow decanters - truly outstanding bourbon. Plus I have some older 80 proof from the 70s. Again, fabulous stuff.

Unless someone can correct me on this, I assume the current and the upcoming reserve edition of OC is the standard Beam juice. So, it will be nothing like the glorious OC of old.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

grooooovy .... i would love some old style crow to come back....

Connoisseur

That's the problem - I'm betting it's not old school Old Crow, but just another variant of the standard Beam recipe.

Mark

-Nietzsche

Guru

This is very interesting.
    I wonder if this is a reaction to the new Old Taylor that Buffalo Trace is going to do, to be renamed Col E H Taylor?
    Or if Beam had this in mind when they sold the Old Taylor label to BT?
    ovh

Disciple

How about coming out with a Crow super deluxe at 100 proof!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Supercharged Crow = Raven. Age it a bit, release @ 100 proof, call it Hugin and Munin.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Or if Beam had this in mind when they sold the Old Taylor label to BT?

That would make sense, mabey this will fill the void of 6 year beam juice since they have a lable for 3 year (OC), 4 year (JBW), 5 year (JBC), 6 year (new old crow?) 7 year (JBW kentucky only), and 8 year (JBB)
    -Jon V
    I Don't Need No Instructions To Know How To Rock!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CygnusX-1 View Post
    That would make sense, mabey this will fill the void of 6 year beam juice since they have a lable for 3 year (OC), 4 year (JBW), 5 year (JBC), 6 year (new old crow?) 7 year (JBW kentucky only), and 8 year (JBB)
    Don't forget the Distiller's Series. 7 y/o for us non Kentuckyians.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog