Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

Drank some Left Hand Black Jack Porter last night....very good.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/1251

Connoisseur

A few Duck Rabbit Milk Stouts while working in the garage. Deelish...

Guru

Rasputin Imperial Stout. This is a big bad brew. Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits. Moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Not a brew to be taken lightly.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

^^ I love Old Rasputin Imp Stout

I'm drinking Victory 12, Belgium Style Ale at 12% ABV ... it's been sitting in my fridge for too long, so I finally popped the cork on this one and it's fantastic. really really good. fruity, malty, and sweet candy notes. just the way I like em. dangerous pour, though. if you had poured this for me and told me it was 12% without showing me the bottle, I'd say you were full of shit.
    Last edited by nivto; 01-24-2011 at 17:11.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    ^^ I love Old Rasputin Imp Stout

I'm drinking Victory 12, Belgium Style Ale at 12% ABV ... it's been sitting in my fridge for too long, so I finally popped the cork on this one and it's fantastic. really really good. fruity, malty, and sweet candy notes. just the way I like em. dangerous pour, though. if you had poured this for me and told me it was 12% without showing me the bottle, I'd say you were full of shit.
    There's many beers that drink way too smooth and hover in the 10-14 abv range. I've found that I have to check the label so I know what I'm getting myself into.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    There's many beers that drink way too smooth and hover in the 10-14 abv range. I've found that I have to check the label so I know what I'm getting myself into.
    You're right. Generally I can taste over 7% in a beer, but I had one last week, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, that was in stealth mode. I'm told it was 10.4%, but I never would have guessed that.

I finally cracked open a Double Trouble last night. That may be the best super-hoppy 2IPA I've had.

Disciple

The standard Yeti with the salt herring with onion souse for dinner today. It worked very well as the beer is pretty hoppy for a stout.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Rasputin Imperial Stout. This is a big bad brew. Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits. Moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Not a brew to be taken lightly.
    I like that a lot as well Greg. Unfortunately we haven’t had it at our government store for 3 years or so, but its available at many quality bars. However there Belgium stile beer “brother Thelonious” that we have as a year around product at our government store is horrible and almost undrinkable to my personal taste.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    I like that a lot as well Greg. Unfortunately we haven’t had it at our government store for 3 years or so, but its available at many quality bars. However there Belgium stile beer “brother Thelonious” that we have as a year around product at our government store is horrible and almost undrinkable to my personal taste.

Leif
    That's interesting. I've had the Brother Thelonious, and I thought it was OK, even though it's not my favorite style. I love the name.

How does a beer from a small brewery like that make it so far from home? It's fascinating.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I took two turds, mixed them 50/50, and I think I'm on the way to salvaging about $25. I have 7 bottles of SA Cranberry Lambic left over from previous years Mixed Holiday Packs. I also have about 8 bottles left of BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout. I just can't drink the Lambic. I usually like the BBS, but the case I bought during KBF is horrendously over-over-over-carbonated. I mean, just ridiculously so. Makes it unenjoyable, if not impossible to drink. So mixed them together, waited a bit for the foam to calm down, and it's pretty good. The BBS improves the taste, and the Lambic seems to settle the over carbination. Gary Gillman would be so proud of me!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama