Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 1/11: J.T.S. Brown BIB

I also would rate VOB and JTS Brown BIBs similarly. I'd say sample both. The VOB is 6 years old and made by Barton. I believe the JTS Brown is 4 years old and made by HH.

Guru

I will courteously disagree with my esteemed colleagues. I think VOB is vastly superior to JTS Brown.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I will courteously disagree with my esteemed colleagues. I think VOB is vastly superior to JTS Brown.
    I need to go pick up some more VOB. I haven't had it in awhile. I always enjoyed it, especially for $12, but remember a lot of banana (I think it was banana) which I don't find in JTS Brown BIB.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I also would rate VOB and JTS Brown BIBs similarly. I'd say sample both. The VOB is 6 years old and made by Barton. I believe the JTS Brown is 4 years old and made by HH.
    Interestingly enough, Ohio lists the 80 proof JTS Brown at 4 years old and the BiB at 5. Fact or fiction?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I don't remember seeing an age statement on the JTS Brown label. I will have to look into it. I like VOB, but have never found the bonded version in Indiana, only the 86. I usually have to get VOB BIB in KY or IL.

Apprentice

Order came in!
    I did not see an AS on the JTS BiB Bottle
    I enjoy it very much, it has a nice balance.

I get the banana in VOB (90 for me) as well. very prominent in the nose. Ill have to try the VOB and JTS side by side as everyone seems to be comparing them =]

Poor JTS has to share the BOTM with VOB.
    "Kick a buck."

Virtuoso

Poor JTS has to share the BOTM with VOB.
    Yeah, but Mr. Brown is a movie star and VOB isn't.

Novice

For me, young HH whiskey is defined by that sweet cream tea note on the nose. EWSB and EC are, I guess, old enough that that scent isn't present (or for that matter PH 27y and EW 23y.) 1783 is basically the same way, but I get just a hint of the sweet cream tea after a solid swallow.

JTS Brown BIB is for me a decent young HH whiskey with a great added nutty note that I don't get in ANY other HH whiskeys. I get that sweet cream tea note mostly, with a bit of corn, and an intermittent nuttiness after it sits for a while. That same nuttiness that I get in WTRB, but immediately on that beauty.

EW BIB has more corn on the nose and less sweet tea.
    Old HH BIB is very similar, but a shade darker and a bit smoother.(How old is Old HH? My bottle doesn't say.)
    HH BIB 6y - subdued sweet cream tea note, no corn, smoother, significantly darker.
    HH 90 6y - same as the 6y BIB except that the dilution brings out corn, not on the nose, but on the palate.
    Hirsch Small Batch Reserve - no corn, blast of that sweet cream tea.
    Corner Creek Reserve - precisely the same as above, but at half the price (there is no question in my mind that this is HH whiskey)

The "36 month" HH 90 proof stuff we get here in Georgia is remarkably similar, with the occasional nuttiness removed, but that it just proof of the what HH can do with 3 years of aging. Same thing goes for EWB, though JTS BIB is just a bit sweeter, and HH 90 and EWB are just a bit smoother; almost certainly due to the proof.

Honestly I prefer this to say Four Roses Yellow Label, but that could just be the proof, and that FR Small Batch and Single Barrel don't fit my tastes either (they taste muddled to me, either because they are just more complex than I can address or because they are a bit muddled, I can't say --yet I love Bulleit, go figure)

I cannot argue that I find VOB 90 and 100 to be significantly better bourbon, and the 90 is much cheaper too, here in GA (I picked up my bottle of JTS BIB in KY), but every so often I get that young HH itch and it sure is nice to be able to scratch it.

Oh, and second post here, so nice to meet you.

Guru

I don't have a BIB open at the moment but do have an 86pf open from 1986 (is that cheating?). Not sure who distilled back in the 80's but this particular bottle is very inviting; subtle bourbon flavors and a finish that's moderate to long. I find myself reaching for this more often than others as it's a very easy drinker, lots of nice bourbon flavors and satisfying each and every pour. This one surprised me as I picked it up on a whim during a dusty hunt. I would add more to the bunker if found.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

This is the first time the phrase "sweet cream tea" has been used on the board and I confess to having not a clue to what it means. Is it akin to the $1 sweet tea I see advertised at the junk food places? Do people add cream to that? Sounds as abominable as it must taste, if so.

Quote Originally Posted by MaltNut View Post
    For me, young HH whiskey is defined by that sweet cream tea note on the nose. EWSB and EC are, I guess, old enough that that scent isn't present (or for that matter PH 27y and EW 23y.) 1783 is basically the same way, but I get just a hint of the sweet cream tea after a solid swallow.

JTS Brown BIB is for me a decent young HH whiskey with a great added nutty note that I don't get in ANY other HH whiskeys. I get that sweet cream tea note mostly, with a bit of corn, and an intermittent nuttiness after it sits for a while. That same nuttiness that I get in WTRB, but immediately on that beauty.

EW BIB has more corn on the nose and less sweet tea.
    Old HH BIB is very similar, but a shade darker and a bit smoother.(How old is Old HH? My bottle doesn't say.)
    HH BIB 6y - subdued sweet cream tea note, no corn, smoother, significantly darker.
    HH 90 6y - same as the 6y BIB except that the dilution brings out corn, not on the nose, but on the palate.
    Hirsch Small Batch Reserve - no corn, blast of that sweet cream tea.
    Corner Creek Reserve - precisely the same as above, but at half the price (there is no question in my mind that this is HH whiskey)

The "36 month" HH 90 proof stuff we get here in Georgia is remarkably similar, with the occasional nuttiness removed, but that it just proof of the what HH can do with 3 years of aging. Same thing goes for EWB, though JTS BIB is just a bit sweeter, and HH 90 and EWB are just a bit smoother; almost certainly due to the proof.

Honestly I prefer this to say Four Roses Yellow Label, but that could just be the proof, and that FR Small Batch and Single Barrel don't fit my tastes either (they taste muddled to me, either because they are just more complex than I can address or because they are a bit muddled, I can't say --yet I love Bulleit, go figure)

I cannot argue that I find VOB 90 and 100 to be significantly better bourbon, and the 90 is much cheaper too, here in GA (I picked up my bottle of JTS BIB in KY), but every so often I get that young HH itch and it sure is nice to be able to scratch it.

Oh, and second post here, so nice to meet you.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof